Just got house with pool, but no manuals!!!

Apr 4, 2008
My husband and I just bought a house built in the 70s. Really excited because it has a small bean-shaped in-ground pool in the backyard that is going to be perfect for floating around and getting out of the heat.

However, when we stepped into the house after closing and found the owner tinkering with the pool equipment, we knew we were in trouble. Now our pool is sitting stagnant as he takes his time ordering the pump to get the pool running as it was when we signed the housing documents.

So, besides being concerned about my pool sitting all this time not running (and not sure what I can do to keep things as nice as possible), we realized that all the old equipment that we inherited has NO MANUALS. We've never owned a pool and I don't even have a clue what I would need to do the basic maintenance like backwashing the filter or even programming the pump. We have inherited a pool that needs work in that the equipment is not on a slab or flat surface, but set in the yard. We know we are going to have to work on that.

I guess my question(s) would be:
1. Is there anything I can do besides skimming to keep the pool as nice as possible until the pump arrives?
2. Does anyone know where I can find instructions for running pool equipment? Haven't found what I need here via searches. I know we have some sort of Intermedic (I think that's the brand) timer device. Other than that I just don't know any of this stuff.

I appreciate all help. Have learned so much from this site and am really happy with my basic knowledge so far, but I need to know how to run this equipment and not sure where to go for this info.

Thanks!
April

My pool also came with no manuals. I looked into the manufacturers' websites and found many manuals online via these websites.

You might also want to consider paying a pool service to do an orientation session with you. You want to pay close attention to how to run and program the equipment and how to clean and maintain it. The chemistry you can easily get from these forums.

You probably have an Intermatic timer.

Good luck!

Now would be a good time to start reading some of the articles in the Stickies section of this site, see the link in the sub-heading of each page or in my signature.

I don't know what your arraignment with the seller is but it might be much better to fix things yourself right now and then try to bill him. His legal liability depends on details of your contract and the timing of events so check with your real estate agent or a lawyer. Leaving a pool sitting without a pump usually leads very quickly to algae, which can be dealt with without any permanent damage but is a pain.

duh!

Thank you so much! For someone who works in the web, I can't believe that wasn't my first thought to look for manuls online.

Appreciate the link to the stickies as I will be poring over that for any other tidbits I need.

This is a really great site, and I appreciate the instantaneous advice!

-April

Attachments

• Filter Flosser Pic-4.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Re: duh!

stockwellapril said:
Thank you so much! For someone who works in the web, I can't believe that wasn't my first thought to look for manuls online.

Appreciate the link to the stickies as I will be poring over that for any other tidbits I need.

This is a really great site, and I appreciate the instantaneous advice!

-April

welcome to TFP. The DE filter sticky is awesome - if indeed you do have a DE filter.

Welcome April! Most importantly don't freak out! I know right now it is intimidating. Get the equipment functioning(pump and filter). Get yourself a good drop based test kit. The TF-100 mentioned here is a wonderful kit. Also Duraleigh a member here sells it and is always available to give advice. Taylor makes a good one as well but I can't remember the number. The suggestion to get a local pool co to give you an oreintation is a good one. Remember if you have questions just ask. Someone here most likely will have an answer. Before you know it you will be on a float enjoying an adult beverage and loving life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.