Staining Due to Algae?

48 hour update:

FC level holding just above 20 although I saw a significant FC drop overnight. It may be in part due to the first full day of sun we've had since I started shocking. Filter is being cleaned about every 2-3 hours with milky white residue being washed away.

Pool Prior to Shocking

48 Hours in Shocking Mode

Stain Patch Prior to Shocking

Stain Patch During Shocking Process

Some staining still remaining as it's difficult getting into those corners. I didn't see a brush I particularly cared for at the two local pool stores so if anyone has any recommendations on metal angular brushes, let me know. The pool is still fairly cloudy but I assume that will clear up over the next week with repeated filter cleanings and brushing. I will reintroduce the MX8 into the system sometime this evening and let it help out a bit with the dirty work.

I have a new found respect for pool maintenance. In the 3 years we've been living in our home, I don't think we've ever maintained the pool as well as we have in the past 48 hours. And we're not even close to finishing up the shocking process.

In the 3 years we've been living in our home, I don't think we've ever maintained the pool as well as we have in the past 48 hours. And we're not even close to finishing up the shocking process.
Well, that's nice work your doing. You obviously have gained a quick understanding of what's involved and your pool will absolutely sparkle very soon! :goodjob:

Quick update. Stains in the pool are definitely organic in nature. Most of them have dissolved. I'm still holding my FC above 20 though as I'm still having to clean the cartridge filter daily at a minimum and we're fighting with close to 3-4 inches of rain. There's still substantial white powder living on the pool floor which I'm guessing are victims of the shock battle we're waging. I'm debating on purchasing either a Whale Wall or some sort of cartridge cleaning tool that folks were chatting about in another thread. I am in need of a new telescopic pole as the end is cracking as well. If all goes well, I'll have photos of the pool without a trace of white matter left. Thanks again!

It would appear that I've passed OCLT. FC dropped by 0.5 overnight. CCs are 0.5 or less. The water is crystal clear. There's still some white powder on the bottom and on the walls of the pool but that'll get vacuumed in time. There are just a couple of corners where I still see a bit of green so I may need to brush those out with a toothbrush or something. For those new to this, I'll post before and after photos showing what diligence, sweat, and a couple weeks worth of time can do to your pool.

Those toothbrush freebies you get at the dentist really are useful for something!

Green is gone. Pool is crystal clear. My wife and I have never seen it so sparkly and clean since we've moved in. Final test results after passing OCLT again last night.

Code:
      Today      15 Days ago
FC:    8.5           1.0  
CC:    0.0           0.5
pH:    7.5           7.2
TA:    90            70
CH:    380           500+
CYA:   40            30

Photos coming tomorrow with before/afters and the in-betweens for those that are also starting with the BBB method. To all involved, thank you for everything. Couldn't have done this without the community. And a TFT-100 kit. Although I'm almost out of FC/CC reagents :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.