Help with broken filter leading to algae

Jarodnaaron

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Hello,

My pool was opened by the pool company 2.5 weeks ago. Since that time the pool continues to have waxing and waning issues with algae despite my having a pool cleaner come by once a week and shocking. This past Thursday they told me that my DE filter needed a new manifold and grid assembly(?) and that it was on order. The pool was set to recirculate and at that point filtration was discontinued. I live in NC, the pool is a gunite free form 26000k gallon pool. The pool gets direct sunlight all day long.

By Friday the pool was a deeper shade of green. I went to the pool store and was told that the tc and cl was 3.5 and the cya was 70 and ph was 7.4. I put in 4 bags of bio guard shock and 12lb of something called maintain to bring the ph up. There was no change, in fact the water became greener. On Saturday I returned to the store. The tc and cl was 3.0 cya was 75 and ph was 8.0. Phosphates were 2200. I was given Phosfree and something called low and slow to use to bring the oh down.

On Saturday the pool was a deep emerald green. I saw insects skating along the top of it, similar to what you see on a pond. I began to panic. The pool store was closed and I found your website as searched for some help. The previous owner had left somes Lowes dichlor. I bought some pool testing strips( i have just odered the Tf 1000). The ph seemed to be about 7.6-7.8. I followed the pool calculator and added aninitial 8 lbs of dichlor. The pool testing strips soon became useless as they max at 20 of FC and 10 of tot chl. I just kept looking at the pool every few hous for change and ended up adding about 17 lbs of dichlor until I noted a slight change.

This morning the pool in now a teal cloudy blue. I added the last bit of dichlor in about 3 lbs and several hours later went back to the pool store to get a better water analysis. The fc and tc are 10 but that is their max. The cya is now 144 ph is 7.8 and phosp are less than 50. Total alk is 120, total hardness is 244, adjusted alk is 77. My own test strips show max fc and of 20 and 10 respectively.

I was told that the filter would be fixed by Tuesday or Wed. What do I do until I get my test kit. Do I add a maintainence amt of liquid chl daily or just keep looking at the water watching for returning green or lack of improvement?

It is nearly impossible to manage a pool with CYA over 100. I strongly recommend either replacing water or getting a reverse osmosis treatment to lower your CYA level down to something reasonable (around 50 would be good). That needs to be done before you start shocking.

Ignore the phosphate level. Mine is several thousand and I never have any problems.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Your filter being broken has put you in a pickle. That said, there is nothing that will happen to your water that can't be fixed reasonably easily.

Jasonlion thoughts about your CYA are right on the money. I would probably go ahead and plan on that drain and refill as soon as they get your filter in place.

I suggest you simply sit tight until you get your test kit (Wednesday) and then post the results. It seems to me the pool folks could've been more responsive about getting your filter in but what's done is done.

Again, there is not much productive you can do until your water is circulating. It will be a busy clean up with a lot of hard work on your part but we will help you get it done.

EDIT - I missed that they set the pump to recirculate...that's a good thing. With that, yes, I would encourage you to put in a large jug of Clorox each evening which will really keep the algae at bay. It won't really fix anything until you can restart a filter but it will help. I would also start the drain/refill procedure now as well.

EDIT AGAIN - If your pool cleaner is still with you, he will not like our advice. You may be at a crossroads with his/her services and have a decision to make.

I will drain and refill after the filter is up and running. One more question! If the target fc for a cya of 100 is 7-12, does this mean that the pool is not safe to swim in ? I read that safe swimming fc is 1-4.

I' m not sure. I just bought this house about 3 mos ago. I know that there is a waste setting, but I didn't see any thing that indicated skimmers vs. main drain. Do you have to shut off the skimmers in order to drop the level of the pool?

This whole thing is very stressful. I am hosting a graduation party this Saturday; it would be nice if I could get the pool clear for that ONE day. Do you think that that would be possible, and then I could drain the pool right after the party? Since I have well water, what I was hoping to do us drain and fill a foot to 2 feet each week. I also live in the country so a large driain would lead to lot of muck and mire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.