New to the BBB method, Here are my test results thus far..

May 24, 2012
PH - 7.2
CL - 5
ALK - 70-80
BR - 10
CH - 160-170
FC - 5ppm
CC - .5ppm
TC - 5.5pm

Water still seems a tad on the green side & cloudy but the bottom is easily visible. I just added 4 lbs of HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner Sunday afternoon but haven't tested the CYA level yet because I read it could take a week to fully register. Looking for direction on what my next move should be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: New to the BBB method, Here are my test results thus far

Can we assume this is fresh fill water and there is no residual CYA? If not, what was the CYA level before you added the four pounds?

If the water is still green, I'd keep it at shock level, for whatever CYA level you've calculated the four pounds will provide.

A sand filter will not clear particles as well as a cartridge or DE, just be patient. No filter will clear green out, you need to get rid of that chemically.

No, this wasn't a fresh fill. The CYA (before adding the 4 lbs) was zero because I could still see the black dot after filling the tube.

Then you're on your way! Keep shocking. If you feel brave, you might try pulling the light out so you can clean out the niche behind it. It's a good place for algae to hide, waiting for the chance to re-emerge. Assuming you can get the screw loose, it should just tilt out and have enough cord coiled up behind that you can set it on the deck.

Water still seems a tad on the green side & cloudy
Then you must shock the pool. Even though you can't test for it, assume the CYA is in there and working. Bring your chlorine up to the shock level suggested for thay CYA level you calculated and HOLD IT THERE until your pool is crystal clear. More detailed instruction...read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

Ok I just shocked the pool now assuming the CYA level will be in the 25-30ppm according to the chart on the Stabilizer bottle. Once I'm at "shock level" do I then worry about getting my other areas tweaked to where they need to be?

By the way, you can use Cal Hypo for shocking, since your CH is low for a gunite pool. You need to get the CH up to 250-350. You can use poolcalculator.com to get your Cal Hypo measurements, and to track the effect of what adding the Cal Hypo to your pool will be. For example, adding 32oz of 73% Cal Hypo will raise CH by 7.7, so you can use a whole lot of it before you get to CH of 250.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but don't use the chart on any of the chemical containers. Use the pool calculator and the CYA/chlorine chart.

Also realize that shocking isn't a one time thing. You bring it to shock level and retest and bring it back to shock level as often as every hour. Until you pass the OCLT.

Bama Rambler said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but don't use the chart on any of the chemical containers. Use the pool calculator and the CYA/chlorine chart.

Also realize that shocking isn't a one time thing. You bring it to shock level and retest and bring it back to shock level as often as every hour. Until you pass the OCLT.

I only used the chart on the Stabilizer bottle to assume how many parts CYA I would have in my 16k pool from adding 4 lbs of it. From there I was able to determine that I needed my FC shock level to be at 12 which I'm actually at right now.

RobbieH said:
By the way, you can use Cal Hypo for shocking, since your CH is low for a gunite pool. You need to get the CH up to 250-350. You can use poolcalculator.com to get your Cal Hypo measurements, and to track the effect of what adding the Cal Hypo to your pool will be. For example, adding 32oz of 73% Cal Hypo will raise CH by 7.7, so you can use a whole lot of it before you get to CH of 250.

I already shocked earlier and am still only at a 170 CH level. So, you recommend I buy Cal Hypo and use that to shock? Where can I get it from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bama Rambler said:

Had my FC shock level at 13.5 by sundown yesterday. Tested again this morning prior to sunrise and was at a 10 FC shock level. I added more shock before leaving for work (unfortunately shocking every hour during the week isn't possible). Do I just continue to hit my necessary FC shock level, test at sundown and prior to sunrise until the OCLT is met?

jcrewguy said:
I already shocked earlier and am still only at a 170 CH level. So, you recommend I buy Cal Hypo and use that to shock? Where can I get it from?

I'm just saying it's an option. It can be easier to transport than several bottles of bleach, and your CH level needs to come up for your pool anyway.

Depending on how you shock, you add different things to your pool:
Trichlor or Dichlor - adds CYA
CalHypo - adds Calcium
Bleach - adds pretty much nothing to your pool other than FC.

Ok my FC seems to be holding steady under 1 the past few overnights.The water is now very cloudy and unlike several days ago I can't see the bottom (of the deep end). I haven't check my CC in a few days but here are a few other test numbers from last night -

PH - 7.2
ALK - 70
CH - 170
CYA - 20 (but steadily rising as the week progresses since adding several lbs of HTH Stabilizer to the skimmer)
FC - Was 11.5 at 1030pm last night and 11 at 8am this morning.

Looking for direction on what my next step(s) should be (besides testing the CC level)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.