Filter sand excreted during rinse?

May 28, 2010
Just doing my spring opening and I am seeing about a 1/2 cup filter sand come out of the blue waste hose whenever I do a 3 minute rinse, but none during a backwash or during filtration.

Would this be a broken lateral, something else or just the need to gently clean the sand with a garden hose? (Just curious before I dig out 200lbs of sand to check the laterals)

Thanks.

Since it's only doing it on rinse, there is no need to suspect the laterals. It is very likely a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve. Pretty easy DIY once you get the right gasket.

Turns out I was wrong. The water wasn't clear enough yet (was just in the opening process) to see the sand sitting on the bottom of the pool. Once I saw that the spider gasket was still good (thankfully, I have a Sta-Rite model that is now obsolete and would require new plumbing) I opened up the filter and found that 3 of my 8 laterals had come off. Not broken, just come off. The housing assembly that holds the laterals was coming apart, bottom separating from top, so those 3 laterals just slipped right off.

This is my fix, I don't think there should be a problem with it. Does anyone know why this would not work? (I basically clamped around the halves and then cable-tied the rest of the laterals so that they won't come lose again.)

North%20Grenville-20120529-00040.jpg

North%20Grenville-20120529-00041.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.