Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie who needs help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie who needs help!

Hello all! Newbie here. All I can say is HELP! I feel like I'm so dumb. This is a great site, but I have to say, the language is a bit overwhelming for me. I don't talk pool talk yet, so, am really going to need alot of help! I just got done putting up my 16x48 Intex vinal liner pool yesterday and boy it's pretty!
    I know I probably shouldn't have, but I shocked it last night with chlorine bleach 6%. I used 3 gals, so my readings today were REALLY HIGH (off the chart)! All I could afford was the hth 6-way test kit from Wal-mart. Having trouble understanding everything. I have read until I'm blue in the face. The one test that tests, I believe, the TA, I didn't understand because it was suppose to turn to red, but I kept adding drops, but it seem to be a bright pink. Is that considered to be red or did I need to keep adding until it turns completely red? I know alot of info all at once, but really need help! PLEASE! And Thanks!
    My Pool: 6000 gallon, vinyl Intex metal trim with the Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump, HTH 6-way test from Walmart

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Newbie who needs help!

You are better off than you think. However, we have to have current test results from that Walmart kit. Do the best you can and post the results...we'll help you sort it out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much! You really give me hope!! I will let you know that I did test my water as soon as it was full, but of course the Ch/Br test results was not even on the chart, it was clear. Now my ph results was low at 6.8, but as far as the rest, (The TA)didn't know how many drops to put in, cause the liquid was just dark pink and never turned red, so didn't write down reading. It did turn pink after 3 drops, so since I didn't understand, I just shocked the water so I would at least have a reading of chlorine to start with. Hope I didn't mess up.
    My Pool: 6000 gallon, vinyl Intex metal trim with the Krystal Clear Model 635T Filter Pump, HTH 6-way test from Walmart

4. Back To Top    #4

Test Results after shocking with bleach

Ok, I tested the water just a few min. ago. Heres my results:
    TC/ Br =1 2 (dont really know how to read)
    PH= 6.8
    TA= After 3 drops turned pink, stayed pink even after 11 drops?
    Thats all I tested, because my test only has 2 CyA test, and want to wait until other results are more normal. What do I do next? Please Help!

5. Back To Top    #5

You did ok.
    Since your pH was low you need to test and adjust it as soon as the FC comes down to 10 ppm or so. Which should be soon.

As soon as you can read the FC again and get the pH adjusted you can start following the temporary pool startup instructions.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Test Results after shocking with bleach

First, I suggest getting a good, accurate, reliable test kit. The TF-100 or K-2006 kits are better than what you have I strongly suspect.
    http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

The three major items you need to know are your FC, CYA, and pH. I'm not saying the other numbers aren't important, but until we see where those numbers are, accurately, it's hard to help further.

Second, please note shocking is a long process, not a one time addition to your pool.
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Also need to know your pool type (vinyl, concrete, etc.), volume, etc. The more info you can share, the better!

I see your pH is low, bring that up with Borax, yep the 20 Mule Team stuff from the store. (I prefer using Borax). You can figure out how much with the Pool Calculator. http://poolcalculator.com/
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks so much for the info. Good! I dont feel as dumb as I did!

Thanks again!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, I'll do as you say!

9. Back To Top    #9

Believe me, I felt dumb a few weeks ago, but with the help I got on here I think I am closer to knowing what I am doing.
    400,000 Litre in ground infinity pool, with 40,000 litre holding tank (116 235.703 04 gallon). Vinyl liner.
    Two Astralpool Cantabric sand filters, 900mm diameter, each with 550kg of sand.
    Two ESI MP6 1.5kw 3 phase pumps.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks OliveGrove, that makes me feel better! Hopefullly I'll be better in a few weeks to!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, now I need to know how much Borax to use to up my ph. My Cl/Br reading was low at 1 2, my ph was 6.8 and TA- not sure, would never turn to red from pink? Need help, kids are driving me crazy to swim! HELP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Use the Pool Calculator to figure your volumes.
    http://poolcalculator.com/

You need to know your pool's volume.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, trying to listen to your suggestions but dont really understand how to use the pool calculater. Oh, and would it be ok to go ahead and add a chlorine puck to the floater, cause my chlorine is really low at 1 2. or do i just raise my ph first?

14. Back To Top    #14

How many gallons is your pool? I can use it for you. It's nothing more than putting in your pool's volume, your current pH, and your target pH. It will tell you how much borax to add.

Adding pucks will raise your CYA. I strongly suggest not using pucks unless you know your CYA is low. Just add some chlorox.

I can't tell if you are saying your FC is 1, 2 or 12. I don't know what 1 2 means.

15. Back To Top    #15

My pool is a 16x48 vinal Intex with metal frame. The volume of my pool is 6000 gals. I dont really understand the pool calculator. Please Help!

16. Back To Top    #16

About 60 oz of 20 Mule Team Borax. It comes in a 76 oz box, don't use the whole box. Weigh it out with a kitchen scale. You can dissolve it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water before adding to the pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

My pool has 6000 gallons of water. I've never tested the cya because my kit only has 2 tests, so I was saving them, but will test if you think thats what I need to do. Remember I'm a big time newbie and this is all weird science to me. Sorry, I'm so much trouble. Oh and My Cl/Br is 1.

18. Back To Top    #18

You have two threads going with the same question. I've answered your borax question on the other thread. Let's stick to that one because answering you on two different threads is difficult.

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok, thanks bunches! I will get ur done! Oh, one more question... How soon can we swim after adding the borax?

20. Back To Top    #20

Should be good after about 30 minutes. If your FC (chlorine) is 1, it needs to come up some. Hard to say how much without knowing your CYA accurately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast