Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building deck-? under the rail/flush with gap/over rail

1. Back To Top    #1

Building deck-? under the rail/flush with gap/over rail

We are building a deck for 27' round abg.
    My concerns are if we go under the rail, how will we place winter cover and how will it be to remove endcaps/rail if we need to change liner?
    If we go flush with a gap, the gap will be pretty large because endcap stick 1" from rail.
    Over the rail, how will I put on winter cover or remove caps/rails??

Help, we need suggestions!!

Thank you,
    Michele
    15,000 gallon in-ground with vinyl liner
    6 foot max depth
    DE Hayward 3620 vertical filter - 72 gpm
    1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building deck-? under the rail/flush with gap/over rail

Personally I like under the rail, but my concern was people tripping over the rail, so I opted for "flush" with the rail, our gap approaches 1" in a couple spots and hasn't been a problem for our 6 year old daughter.

As for maintenance, it matters which way your boards go. On our pool the rails pivot, so I will have to remove a few boards to get them off - no big deal. If I had gone the other way (perpendicular to the pool) I'd have a lot of boards to remove, if you go parallel to the pool then removing a few boards shouldn't be that bad.

One thing to consider whichever method you go, don't trim the boards too close to the pool if you get hard winter. I confirmed that our pool and/or deck did heave a little bit, nothing major but if you cut them very close then any freezing/thawing action could rub deck against rail.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

I would guess that leaving a 3/4 - 1" gap will still leave enough space to pull a winter cover over and attach down below ?
    What about people jumping in and putting their weight on the top rail ? is this a problem ? they dont seem strong enough to take much weight
    Going over the rail would solve this, and like you say, removing a few boards for liner replacement is not a big deal as its not an annual chore.
    2012 new 15' x 52" round sharkline above ground, DIY installed & BBB maintained. 3/4hp with 19" 150lb sand filter, 4 x 20 sungrabber solar heater. DIY solid piped.

4. Back To Top    #4

I built ours "under the rail" left just enough of a gap, that we could slip the cable, and cover under it. Has worked great for the last few years now.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    I built ours "under the rail" left just enough of a gap, that we could slip the cable, and cover under it. Has worked great for the last few years now.

Same as ours. Looks tight but I can let it up enough to put the cover and cable under it.

24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine is under the top rail, there is just enough space to get the cable under it.
    We have not had any issues with tripping over the top rails.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a video on how we did ours. We ran the deck over the pool and went with a unibead liner. Also we wanted a in ground pool but we were on a major slope. So we dug out 5 foot and built a retaining wall out of railroad ties. Then we still needed 20 full loads of dirt to get the 18x33 pool to sit on. You can still see the slope and drop off even after all that dirt. Excuse the mess and dirty pool, we just had a rain storm come through last night.

[youtube:r7j9423q]y05nPjhKLhg[/youtube:r7j9423q]

8. Back To Top    #8

Just watched this video with a brilliant deck - even a walk off area (just like the video above). Decking looks about an inch above the top of the pool and the walk off area goes over the edge. Nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... MA1sET7pIs

9. Back To Top    #9

Standing on rails is to be avoided, they aren't meant to take that kind of weight.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10

I am going to try and link photo. Hope this works

Here is our solution to being able to remove rails for future liner replacement.

6 foot max depth
    1.5 HP pump

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't believe it, it worked.

We still have to do some sanding to soften the cuts. Now just have to get the deck boards layed.
    6 foot max depth
    1.5 HP pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Durf
    Here is a video on how we did ours. We ran the deck over the pool and went with a unibead liner. Also we wanted a in ground pool but we were on a major slope. So we dug out 5 foot and built a retaining wall out of railroad ties. Then we still needed 20 full loads of dirt to get the 18x33 pool to sit on. You can still see the slope and drop off even after all that dirt. Excuse the mess and dirty pool, we just had a rain storm come through last night.

Very nice. Whenever I see a double deck that close, I have visions of some idiot jumping off the top deck into the pool.

And for the record, my pool deck is like that too - under the rail, with about a 1" gap to get the cover on. Nobody has tripped over it yet.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

13. Back To Top    #13

Would you mind putting up a few more pictures? Could you take some showing how you attached the boards to the 4x4's and also how the long running joyces were attached to those boards please? Thanks - looking forward to seeing the finished result.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave

Very nice. Whenever I see a double deck that close, I have visions of some idiot jumping off the top deck into the pool.

And for the record, my pool deck is like that too - under the rail, with about a 1" gap to get the cover on. Nobody has tripped over it yet.

-dave
    Yup, my pool guy swears it is too high and the pool too shallow to do it safely. He says your tailbone would hit the bottom. He was very adamant so i have not tried it yet, yet is the operative word. I think it could be done, but i put an extra $1 million
    umbrella insurance policy on the house just in case some idiot not named me tries it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave

-dave
    Yup, my pool guy swears it is too high and the pool too shallow to do it safely. He says your tailbone would hit the bottom. He was very adamant so i have not tried it yet, yet is the operative word. I think it could be done, but i put an extra $1 million
    umbrella insurance policy on the house just in case some idiot not named me tries it.

Potential for injury not withstanding. Way back in the day (maybe 50 years ago) my grandparents had a ABG. They came home one day to find the driveway freshly washed. Seemed my aunt had a party, and people thought it would be a good idea to jump from the garage roof into the pool. They blew the side right out of that sucker.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

This was my solution.

I went with over the top of the rail. I did not like the "imposing" look of a deck that sat way over the top of the deck. I also saw the damage to the top rails of my buddy's deck which was built flush. I have about 3/4" gap under the framing over the rail to get the winter cover on and works fine.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa3
    Would you mind putting up a few more pictures? Could you take some showing how you attached the boards to the 4x4's and also how the long running joyces were attached to those boards please? Thanks - looking forward to seeing the finished result.
    Here are more pics.
    I don't know if these answer your questions.
    When my hubby gets home I see if I took the right pics to answer questions.
    All I know is lag bolts were used to connect boards to 4x4s.

6 foot max depth
    1.5 HP pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Looking good. You should make sure your sealing the ends of the boards and also the fresh cut ends. It will help them from splitting and twisting in a short time.
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

19. Back To Top    #19

Image deleted?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa3
    Image deleted?
    I don't know why they are gone?
    6 foot max depth
    1.5 HP pump