Fence remodel question

May 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
I have redone the retaining wall around the back of the pool and rehung our 8' board on board cedar fence that is grayed from weather. I will be adding new wood to the fence for the crown and trim along with a new section to block out the equipment, then staining with a simi-transparent oil based stain, so my questions are:

1) I have read pros and cons of bleaching a fence out. Does anybody know of a great cleaner that is easy to apply and rinse?

2) Since I am adding the new wood across the top, should I (a) go ahead and put the new wood on and then bleach and stain. (b) Add the new wood and wait for it to weather some then bleach and stain (c) Bleach, add new wood, then stain

there are lots of websites with suggestions but they are selling something so anybody that has gone through the process I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance

Ron

Attachments

• fence.JPG
    fence.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 490
Thanks, kinda what I figured but of course the wife would like to have everything done by July 4th. Should look great by 7-4-13

On another note: I have moved all the pool equipment, installed a new pentair DE 60 along with new multiport etc. Thanks to all on this site whose information has such a help

Ron

Here is a great resource for you http://www.woodrich-brand.com/

I have used their products and they are great. You need to buy EFC-38 and the Citralic. The 38 is the cleaner and the Citralic makes the wood look new again. Just follow the instructions included and you should be good to go. I'm about to do my 400' of privacy fence with this stuff because I used it on my deck a couple of years ago with great results.

Make sure you buy a good stain. here is a link to good stuff http://www.armclark.com/

Do you have a pressure washer? Have you ever pressure washed before?

I would pressure wash every inch of that fence. Don't get too close, i say 12" off the wood would be a good starting point. In fact i'd rig up a little guide to the end of your wand so that you wash is consistently from the same distance. This will keep the cleaned area looking more consistent.

Last summer we tore down part of our fence to build a new taller fence. I pressure wash over 100' of fence, took many hours. Then the new fence was built. After 1 year it's hard to tell which part is old and which part is new.

I also recommend letting the new wood age a little then clean.
I've used a pressure washer in the past, but be careful as it can make the wood "fuzzy" if too much pressure is applied. I've also used Olympic Wood Cleaner from Lowe's this last time and it worked really well. Just pour into a pump sprayer, spray it on, wait about 10 minutes and the wood is clean.

I also like the stain from "ready Seal"

Used to work for a log home comapny, now own a fence company.

We recomended a 1/4 bleach and 3/4 water mix in a yard sprayer. spray (soak) the boards, and let sit for 1 hour, then wash the mix off. It will lighten the grayed boards. Then if you wish finish them with CWF (available at Lowes).

If the boards are real old, you might want to apply once and wash off with a pressure washer, then allpy mix again to lighten them.

Well it has been a year and I have to say the fence came out fantastic. As advised I put the crown wood on the fence and let it age until it was white. Last fall we bleached and powerwashed the fence. We had to go over it twice to get all the deep gray out but was worth it. I decided on an oil based stain from Texas Wood Products and used their super cedar dark. When applied we did 2 coats by going over an area once, then before it can set up (takes awhile with oil) we went back over it again. When finished it seemed a bit dark but today it looks fantastic! A friend used this on his fence 8 yrs ago and still looks a year old.

now starting the next project - new tile and kitchen to another thread

Thanks to all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.