Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG or chemistry?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG or chemistry?

I have a 27000 gallon salt pool with an Aquapure 1400 SWG, a DE filter. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my total chlorine was low. I increased the SWG to 100% and am currently running it 12 hours per day. The highest I can get my total chlorine is .6 and what is coming out of the hose from the SWG is 1.5 when it is running. I have checked the chemicals and the pool store has too. Everything seems to be within normal limits. The CYA is at about 65. I was told that my four year old SWG was probably at its end, so I replaced it. The problem continues though. I've checked the voltage at the SWG, and it is at 26v (which is what it should be). One pool guy told me it was the phosphates (at 500). From what I've read, phosphates at 500 aren't really that high, and there's no obvious algae anyway. Another pool guy told me that I need more CYA, even though CYA at 50 was more that adequate for my pool for the past 4 years. I shocked the pool heavily last week, and the total chlorine eventually returned to near zero. Any other ideas?
    27000 gallon
    pebble tek
    D.E. filter
    salt (aquapure 1400)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: SWG or chemistry?

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a complete set of water test results. Also, did your CYA level go down over the winter?

Most likely you need to shock manually, but an overnight FC loss test will tell for sure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

TFP recommendations for SWG pools are 60-80ppm for CYA.

Phosphates are nonsense. Proper chlorination keeps algae away. (As one of the mods likes to say, "Removing phosphates from your pool to prevent algae is like removing all of your belongings from your house to prevent a break in.")

Probably need to shock. Read "How to Shock Your Pool."

Welcome to TFP!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Add enough liquid chlorine to get your fc to the desired level. If it holds, I think that would mean the problem is the swg. Hopefully that's not the case...
    18K Gals, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair Catridge, SWG, Solar & Gas Heat, Pebble Tec, Jandy AquaLinks, Pool Pal for Android.