I don't think this is a major problem, but I thought I'd check.
We just moved into a house with a new (to us) pool. When I shocked the pool after opening yesterday, I added too much chlorine. With all the chaos of moving and unpacking, I didn't stop to think that the 182 oz bottles of chlorine I used were not gallon sizes, but larger. I ended up putting in about a half gallon too much chlorine last night. This morning, the pool looks beautiful. Well, it ought to, that was more than enough chlorine to kill everything and then some. However, the chlorine level is still way high - the Taylor test kit looks for variations of yellow, and my test water was orange.
I was going to panic, but then I thought, the chlorine is going to be degraded by the sun (and my pool gets a lot of sun exposure), so the chlorine level will go down, and it would have gone down some anyway because it killed everything and my pool is crystal clear. My CYA level is also low (30), so that will help speed up the degradation. My thought is to not worry and let it be. However, I hope I haven't potentially damaged any of the piping. I also need to backwash the DE filter, but am concerned about releasing the high chlorine water onto the ground. I turned off the pump because the of the high pressure in the DE filter (thought it isn't anywhere near the max).
1. Should I be concerned about releasing the backwash water into the environment?
2. Should I leave the pump off until the chlorine level goes down, or turn it back on?
3. The pH also rose (of course), and I need to add muriatic acid. However, if the pump isn't on, the acid isn't going to circulate quickly. If the pump is off, I guess I should wait until I turn it back on before I add the acid.
4. Is there anything else I'm missing or should do?