Just set up our very first pool...

May 28, 2012
Hello! We just set up our very first pool, an Intex above ground 16'x48". We did not realize that the kit did not come with any start up chemicals or test kits so we are getting ready to go purchase some. We have a question however about using chlorine. I would rather not use it if possible but is there an alternative to chlorine? I know that we used Bromine in our hot tub and my parents have an in ground pool that has a special kind of filter system and they don't use chlorine either.

Thanks so much!!!!

Christy :thequeen:

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine really is by far your best choice. The two alternatives are bromine and baqua. Bromine can't be stabilized against the effects of sunlight, and baqua is much more expensive and gets many many complaints.

Nearly all of the problems people have with chlorine are from swimming in indoor public pool with poor water management. If is far simpler and much less trouble prone to use chlorine in an outdoor pool without having any of those problems.

I was reading the pool school information and it said to use "bleach". Does this mean household bleach or should we use a liquid shock for the first time? We have just filled the pool and are going out to get the test kit to at least use for the first time (kids are CHOMPING to get in of course).

Either one are fine... they are the same thing at different concentrations. "bleach" is usually 6% strenght (but do check the label, it is sometimes less), and liquid chlorine is usually 12%.

Make sure you check the ingredient list of whatever you use to be sure there are not other ingredients in the product.

TFP recommends getting a good test kit.... paper tests are not notoriously accurate and you won't find all the ones you need at the pool store. & don't rely on the pool store tests... they are usually wrong... especially the important ones. :hammer:

Check the pool school section here for the recommended test kits. They are worth the upfront cost and will save you money over the long haul.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.