Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Compupool SWG Pre-install questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Compupool SWG Pre-install questions

Hi, I am relative newcomer to this site but love it. Have used it over last few summers to master BBB method with great success but am now making the leap to SWG. Just got my new Compupool SWG and am totally over whelmed.

I have a few questions for you masters of the pool universe. First, as I am not comfortable doing electrical work myself, am I better hiring an electrician or a pool service company to install this thing for me? Secondly, as I live in the NE, pool had been closed and covered since early last fall ie it's dirty under there and will be worse when we remove the cover. Should I get the pool up and running on BBB method with chlorine, etc before I have SWG installed?
    ____________________________________________________________ _____________________

Vinyl free form IG 30,000 gallon pool
    Hayward S270T Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    AO Smith 1081 Centurion Pool Pump
    Sliding Board
    TF50 Test Kit and Taylor Ph test kit
    Aquabot Tempo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Compupool SWG Pre-install questions

You can do the install any time, before or after opening the pool.

If working with electricity bothers you, then by all means hire someone to do the work for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So you are saying it is fine to take off the pool cover and just start running the newly installed SWG before the water is balanced? In other threads it seemed like people were opening their pools for the season, cleaning them up and balancing with BBB method and then installing SWG and adding salt.

As far as the install, I totally get that I need to hire it done but the question for me is - electrician or pool repair type person?

Thanks for the feedback - just need clarification.
    ____________________________________________________________ _____________________

Vinyl free form IG 30,000 gallon pool
    Hayward S270T Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    AO Smith 1081 Centurion Pool Pump
    Sliding Board
    TF50 Test Kit and Taylor Ph test kit
    Aquabot Tempo

4. Back To Top    #4

Doing the install any time is fine. You don't want to actually run the SWG until it has been 24 since you added salt, and preferably adjusted some of the other levels appropriately.

Unless you are doing all of the plumbing yourself, get a pool service guy. Actually, best to get a pool service person regardless as not all regular electricians know all of the special rules for swimming pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Get your pool up and operating using the liquid chlorine. Once your SWCG is operating you can stop the liquid chlorine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida