Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When is it unsafe to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

When is it unsafe to swim?

Hi All,

Could someone clarify when it's unsafe for me to swim in my private pool? My TF100 is on the way.

Test strips and drops show good ph but chlorine is all over the place, typically on the low end. I'm using an inline chlorinator with some pucks and I'm sure the test kit will have me keep shocking.

Other test strip colors (kind of) match up, but who knows. I got a second set of eyes on them and I think chlorine and a need to shock will be the only issue.

Water is crystal clear, but I'd hate for family to get sick. What's the risk here? I know proper balance is key, but in the mean time . . . ?

~29k gal IG Vinyl Pool with Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: When is it unsafe to swim?

You will have to make your own decision since your current test method (strips) is fairly inaccurate.

For safe swimming generally we recommend CC below 0.5 ppm, FC is at or below shock level (for the pool's cya level), ph between 7.2-7.8, and the water being clear.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.