Broken Booster Pump and questions

Sep 25, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
My 4 year old booster pump is making lots of noise. I am guessing it is the bearings. At first, I figured I'd replace the motor and be done, however, it is proving to be a puzzle as to what I should do since I am having a hard time figuring out what I have and what I should replace it with. The housing on the front where the impeller is states it is a Hayward Model 6060. Looking up this unit shows it is a 3/4 hp pump. However, the labels on the motor itself indicate it is a 1hp motor. The model number on the motor is c48d31a04, which appears to take a replacement model of UQC1102. However, I am a bit nervous about ordering this without confirming. Then I started to wonder if this is too much and I should really be using a 3/4 hp booster. My pool is an irregular shape and is 30,000 gallons. My pool cleaner is a Hayward Phantom Turbo. Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

There are two big effects going on here. First, the amount of electricity the pump uses is a function of the impeller, not the motor. You can use a larger motor, but it won't draw any more electricity than it did before. Second nameplate HP (used in marketing) and brake HP or SFHP (a measure of how much work the motor can do) are two different things. The Hayward Model 6060 uses a motor with a nameplate HP of 3/4, but it's SFHP is 1.25. You can use any motor with an SFHP of 1.25 or higher, regardless of what it's nameplate HP is. Nameplate HP is a kind of fiction made up by marketing people. Presumably your current motor has a nameplate HP of 1.0 but still has an SFHP of 1.25.

If you are really concerned with how much electricity your booster pump is using, you should switch to a pool cleaner that does not require a booster pump at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.