Intex 18x52 ultra, hayward 16" sand filter and 1hp pump conv

Mar 28, 2012
Hey everyone and thanks for all the info. Hoping someone can give some info on installing this hayward pump/16" sand filter onto our new intex 18x52 ultra frame pool.

I just got the pool setup and need to know what is needed as for hose adapters/fittings/flex hose and what not. Any info is appreciated.

The hayward filter is model S-160t

Thanks again

Soon to be happy pool owner!!

Kimber

Re: Intex 18x52 ultra, hayward 16" sand filter and 1hp pump

You need to get some adapters from Intex hoses to PVC pipes. Unfortunately I can't find the link just at the moment, but a little searching should turn them up.

Well I took a chance and jumped into setting up the Hayward pump/sand filter to my 18"x52" intex ultra frame pool.

It works! This was probably easier than anything else I have had to do with setting up the pool.

The intex hoses slipped right on with a hose clamp to secure. See pictures.

The pump moves the water around in the pool so much better.

Question for anyone that might have an answer. Is there a calculator or formula to determine how long I should run the pump?
It's a 1hp pump and 16" filter with 100lbs of #20 sand.

Attachments

• IMG-20120610-00402.jpg
    IMG-20120610-00402.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-20120610-00404.jpg
    IMG-20120610-00404.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 166

Great to know that the intex hoses fit over the fittings of a non intex setup. I've often wondered about that myself, now I know :)
Not really sure on the turn over rate with that pump in regards on how long to run it. Someone with more pump knowledge should be able to answer that one.

Jamison04 said:
Great to know that the intex hoses fit over the fittings of a non intex setup. I've often wondered about that myself, now I know :)
Not really sure on the turn over rate with that pump in regards on how long to run it. Someone with more pump knowledge should be able to answer that one.

Thanks

I was surprised too that they fit. I will probably adapt longer hoses at some point to move the filter back into the corner of the fence. For now though, it's running like a champ. I should get a video of the flow, it's amazing compared to the crappy filter/pump that came with it. How long do you run your intex sand filter/pump?

General rule of the thumb is at least one pool turnover per day. For that pump/filter, the design flow rate is 30 gpm. Your pool is ~7600 gallons. So that would give ~4 hours. It probably does not have quite that flow rate in practice with those flexible pipes, so I would guess about 5 hours. Once you pick an hour amount you can adjust up and down depending on how much filtering is needed to keep the water clear.

linen said:
General rule of the thumb is at least one pool turnover per day. For that pump/filter, the design flow rate is 30 gpm. Your pool is ~7600 gallons. So that would give ~4 hours. It probably does not have quite that flow rate in practice with those flexible pipes, so I would guess about 5 hours. Once you pick an hour amount you can adjust up and down depending on how much filtering is needed to keep the water clear.

:party: That was exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks a bunch. :cheers:

kblake74 said:
How long do you run your intex sand filter/pump?

I run it 24/7 mainly because where it's located. We never have a windless day here in Okla and there are cottonwood and sycamore trees in the neighboring lots to the north and south of us not to mention the pecans in our yard that flank our pool. Tried running the pump for 8-10 hrs a day but dang it's a mess when all that garbage lands in it with the pump not running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.