Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new sand filter already in yellow after startup?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new sand filter already in yellow after startup?

I have a brand new 2650 GPH sand filter, and I hooked it up to my ultraframe 16' round pool and its showing yellow in the gauge. Is this normal, or do I need to swap out my inlets and outlets? My previous system was a 1.5 inch tubing, Intex 1500 GPH Filter Pump. I also have a KK salt system.
    16'x48" Intex Ultraframe Pool, 5000 Gallon(54451EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Salt Water Chlorine Generator (54601E)
    Intex 2650 GPH Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump (56671EG)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new sand filter already in yellow after startup?

Did you backwash the filter before putting it into service on filter mode? New sand is full of fine powder and silt that needs to be flushed out first by backwashing.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with jamison, backwash a couple of cycles, then make sure to do a good rinse cycle before returning to the filter setting.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I back washed until clear, and rinsed for one minute, as per Intex instructions; when setting up. I am just above the Yellow/Green line. I will try back washing again and rinsing. Additionally, WOW... this thing is powerful, and I don't have to clean a cartridge 3-5times a vacuum.
    16'x48" Intex Ultraframe Pool, 5000 Gallon(54451EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Salt Water Chlorine Generator (54601E)
    Intex 2650 GPH Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump (56671EG)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah, it sounds like your filter is just doing what it is supposed to do....catch a lot of junk and keep it out of your pool.

That'll always make the pressure rise and backwashing is the answer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think the gauges are calibrated all that well on intex filters. You might not need to worry too much about starting in the yellow. My intex filter normally runs just into the yellow after a good backwash and rinse. I consider that the baseline. I backwash when the gauge goes well into the yellow and the pressure from the return is diminished. Works great
    Intex 15x48, Intex Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Intex 14" Sand Filter, TF-100 unicorn eating spaghetti while riding a unicycle on a high wire during a storm edition test kit,

http://tftestkits.net