Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to attach backwash hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to attach backwash hose?

How in the world do you attach the hose to the DE filter when you backwash? I'm doing the opening cleaning of my new (to me) pool, and am mystified as to how to attach the backwash hose to the filter. I've tried Google, but couldn't find anything helpful. All the web pages said to "attach the hose." Yes, I KNOW that, but HOW? The hose seems so much bigger in diameter than the pipe it attaches to, I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to attach backwash hose?

An adjustble screw hose clamp like on a radiator hose.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Woody nailed it. And when you tighten the hose clamp, tighten it good. Then roll the hose out and get rid of any kinks or twists. Water will come out so fast it will blow the hose if there's a kink. Ask me how I know...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, this makes sense. So tomorrow I'm off to the hardware store before I do any backwashing. Previous owners left nothing that would be helpful.
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just make sure the backwash hose is a large enough diameter to fit over the outlet on the filter. The Intex outlet is larger than the typical backwash hose iirc.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -