Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What does rain do?

1. Back To Top    #1

What does rain do?

As I have said in other threads, my first 2 years of pool ownership were at the mercy of the pool store and their magical water analysis print-out and resulting shopping list. This year I have found this forum and am actually trying to figure out what each chemical does. Also, my pool is looking great this year due to the BBB program.

Our weather forecast says storms are on the way, so I am wondering what rain does to water chemistry?
    Above Ground 22,600gal vinyl
    Hayward s220t sand filter w/ 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: What does rain do?

Rain is generally PH neutral, but it causes a rise in PH in my pool by breaking the water surface much like a foutain or water feature would. Generally brings dirt along with the wind so I bump up FC in advance of it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Short term, things will look weird. A day after it stops and it's had time to mix well, not much difference.

Although a big rain does wonders reducing CH if you can pump out before the storm to make room.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Above Ground 22,600gal vinyl
    Hayward s220t sand filter w/ 1hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tecumseh, OK

Depends on where you live. Some areas have more acidic rain. A lot of rain can sometimes marginally lower your pH and TA not enough to worry about tho. Usually there is more dirt and debris in the pool from the rain that is more of a headache than anything.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Rain has never had much affect on my pool. Others report some dramatic pH changes but I suspect, as others report above, the water simply hadn't mixed well yet.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School