May 27, 2012
We just filled our Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" above ground pool. I could not find a "shock" treatment at Walmart that has CYA. Can I add the bleach and swim tomorrow without adding the CYA? I am going to check a pool store tomorrow (if they are open) to get some and add it tomorrow night but I'm sure my son will want to swim in it tomorrow before we can get the CYA.

Thanks in advance!!

You can, but without CYA in the water, either from CYA Stabilizer (powder or liquid), or from stabilized Chlorine (dichlor or trichlor) the sun will very quickly consume all the chlorine in the water.

bspatterson said:
We just filled our Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" above ground pool. I could not find a "shock" treatment at Walmart that has CYA. Can I add the bleach and swim tomorrow without adding the CYA? I am going to check a pool store tomorrow (if they are open) to get some and add it tomorrow night but I'm sure my son will want to swim in it tomorrow before we can get the CYA.

Thanks in advance!!
I find that hard to believe! They call it other names besides Cyanuric acid. Look up Dichlor or Trichlor in the dictionary, you'll see what other names to look for. Also, Ace hardware is having a bunch of pool stuff on sale this weekend.

But yes, you can swim in it; you bathe in it without any ill effects don't you?

I only looked at the bags of "shock" and they did not contain dichlor. Should I check a different product labeled something other than "shock"? I was only looking for that because of pool school.

Hahahaha, Richard. No ill effects from bathing, I just didn't want to cause problems or issues before we even get started.

Thanks everyone. One more question, if I get a liquid stabilizer do I still use the 1 oz per 500 gallons suggested by pool school or is that formula only good for powders? Or can I forgo the 4 night step and just use the calculator and add the appropriate amount to raise my CYA level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I didn't realized dichlor was on the list. However, i thought that dichlor had more CYA than trichlor. But the calculator shows that trichlor has more per ounce. Is this true? is this calculator based on ounces of weight?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.