Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: CYA

CYA

We just filled our Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" above ground pool. I could not find a "shock" treatment at Walmart that has CYA. Can I add the bleach and swim tomorrow without adding the CYA? I am going to check a pool store tomorrow (if they are open) to get some and add it tomorrow night but I'm sure my son will want to swim in it tomorrow before we can get the CYA.

Thanks in advance!!
    Intex 18 x 48 Ultra Frame, 1500 gph Intex Krystal Clean filter pump

Re: CYA

You can, but without CYA in the water, either from CYA Stabilizer (powder or liquid), or from stabilized Chlorine (dichlor or trichlor) the sun will very quickly consume all the chlorine in the water.
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

Quote Originally Posted by bspatterson
    We just filled our Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" above ground pool. I could not find a "shock" treatment at Walmart that has CYA. Can I add the bleach and swim tomorrow without adding the CYA? I am going to check a pool store tomorrow (if they are open) to get some and add it tomorrow night but I'm sure my son will want to swim in it tomorrow before we can get the CYA.

Thanks in advance!!
    I find that hard to believe! They call it other names besides Cyanuric acid. Look up Dichlor or Trichlor in the dictionary, you'll see what other names to look for. Also, Ace hardware is having a bunch of pool stuff on sale this weekend.

But yes, you can swim in it; you bathe in it without any ill effects don't you?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

I only looked at the bags of "shock" and they did not contain dichlor. Should I check a different product labeled something other than "shock"? I was only looking for that because of pool school.

Hahahaha, Richard. No ill effects from bathing, I just didn't want to cause problems or issues before we even get started.

Walmart usually only has HTH and their shock is cal-hypo. HTH also sell containers of CYA granules that you can use to raise your CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Upper Texas Coast

You can buy "stabilizer" which is plain CYA, or dichlor, or trichlor; any of them will add what you need. Just don't overdo it. CYA is easy to add, hard to remove.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Thanks everyone. One more question, if I get a liquid stabilizer do I still use the 1 oz per 500 gallons suggested by pool school or is that formula only good for powders? Or can I forgo the 4 night step and just use the calculator and add the appropriate amount to raise my CYA level?

Senior Member In the Industry

The Pool Calculator will adjust your dosage for either liquid or powder CYA
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

You can add straight stabilizer and be done with it. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can tell you how much to add, whether liquid or powder.

You should have it bookmarked already.

Perfect. Thanks everyone! I'm sure as the water starts changing I will have more questions but you have been a great help in getting started.

About how much CYA is in dichlor? I'd like to use the old dichlor i have to raise the CYA.

Quote Originally Posted by wam525
    About how much CYA is in dichlor? I'd like to use the old dichlor i have to raise the CYA.
    Use the Pool Calculator. Enter the size of your pool at the top. Way down near the bottom there's a thing called "Effects of adding chemicals" Put in how much dichlor you have and it can tell you how high it will raise the CYA.

Thanks! I didn't realized dichlor was on the list. However, i thought that dichlor had more CYA than trichlor. But the calculator shows that trichlor has more per ounce. Is this true? is this calculator based on ounces of weight?