AGP INSTALL GONE BAD - need advice!

May 27, 2012
I had a 24' AGP installed 2 days ago, I watched many youtube videos on AGP installs so I was aware of the do's and dont's. The first issue I had was how they laid down bottom track in the sand and leveled, I thought the track was suppose to be leveled on the hard ground surface? second they spread 4 ton of sand (not level, just similar to walking on the beach sandy bumpy - we had a rain delay which saturated the sand pretty good, after the delay they put the wall up and by this time it was dark, instead of coming back in the am, they spread the sand with flashlights and probably spent 10 minutes spreading it they did NOT stamp the sand at all,just pushed it around with a rake, then put liner in - in the am I checked it which had 8-10 inches of water in it, I could see all of his footprints all around the perimeter of the pool, I put the ladder in and got in to check and noticed the floor was so uneven, very soft, and I even noticed a root poking the liner up enough that it would hurt someone if they stepped on it. I called then and told them I wanted the pool drained and the liner lifted and the pool floor stamped and leveled...is that too much to ask? I just dont know what to do?

The ground should have been leveled and compacted prior to laying down sand. The sand is to cushion the floor of the pool. It should have been used to form the cove around the bottom of the pool with the remainder spread evenly and tamped down to form the floor. There should never be any stones or roots sticking up through the ground.

I would call them back.. they need to do their job correctly or refund your money for the install. You will suffer long term problems if the pool isn't level. The bumpy bottom is going to make vacuuming a burden long term as well. Mine was level when we started and I have enough roughness in the bottom from our drought last summer... Makes for good places for algae to hide if you get much debris on the bottom.

linkinls said:
I called then and told them I wanted the pool drained and the liner lifted and the pool floor stamped and leveled...is that too much to ask? I just dont know what to do?
I agree with zea and suzi, not unreasonable at all. You paid for the proper installation and you haven't gotten it yet. If your bottom track/vertical legs are on sand, that also need to be fixed. Typically, pavers dug into and leveled with the ground are used for the verticals. How much leveling did they do?

Yup, bogus install.
The bottom was not done correctly in several regards and that root will eventually poke thru the liner and drain all the water. Levelling the sand at night is completely ridiculous.

Stop the install and don't give any more money until it's straightened out

After they laid the track on the sand they walked around with a pole and I guess it was a leveler, it would beep when they stood it on each bottom plate, I think that is the only time they used that leveler, I'm going to try a upload the pics I took from the house when they were doing the install (thank god I have proof). we have 12-14 inches in the pool so we blew up a raft and floated around to feel the bottom without walking on it..found another root that is really poking up from the bottom center of the pool.

UPDATE: we did have the installer come back, lift liner and level the floor, which wasn't perfect but better. After filling we did notice that the pool water level is off 1-1/4 inch (see photos) but we did use the pool last summer. I'm wondering if this is okay? I have read the posts and know it is debatable level difference. Also I noticed that the wall at one upright isn't pushed against it like all others and that is actually where the wall didn't quite meet up and the installer yanked it so he could bolt the wall. I wish I would have been more aggressive as a paying customer and said something but he assured me that he had done many installs. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Love this forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 321
In regards to the question inquiring if the pool wall is in the track- i went out and checked several areas, and all the areas appear to be in the pool track- i added a picture of the wall area in question. thank you for your input.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 301

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since the wall is in the track, and it does not sound like the wall is leaning anywhere (is this true?) you may be okay even with the 1.5" mis-level. This is a judgement call that is best made on site. But if it keeps getting worse or if you see signs of uneven force on one part of the wall, then I would definitely have the install redone.

If I'm understanding you correctly then, yes, that would indicate the pool is not 100% level, that said, don't get too hung up on the pool top rail not being perfectly round, I'd rate that as an impossible task. Even an acceptable level of unlevelness will cause the water to exert more force in one section therebye causing it not to be perfectly circular. So in the end it's not a good method to determine level suitablility.

This kind of freaked me out a bit when I filled my pool, the top rail circular measures were off a bit but I was still <= 1" level.

Your best bet is to measure down from the rail to the water surface at several points around the pool edge and see what the differences are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.