Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic cleaner and stone raised wall - PICS ADDED

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic cleaner and stone raised wall - PICS ADDED

We are considering and auto cleaner and have been studying the recommend ones here. one question I have not come across is how stacked stone at water line would effect them? Was looking at the dolphin or aquabot turb t4, the pool is gunite with peblefina finish then stacked stone and has a surface that is jagged - how would this work with the cleaner?
    here are some picturesthat should show what I have - Thanks for all the help

22,000 gl. gunite, SWG, De filter, Coverstar cover, sunshelf, intelitouch controls, tf-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic cleaner and stone raised wall

If the stone is smooth enough to put your hand on, or more than an inch or two above the water line, it shouldn't be an issue. The robot will try to clean whatever is directly at the water line. If it is sharp that could be a problem. However, anything sharp enough to bother the cleaner is going to be sharp enough to bother people as well, so shouldn't be there in the first place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automatic cleaner and stone raised wall

Thanks for the input Jason - the stone is not flat, the pieces are one inch high and stacked going in and out to form the wall, some pieces stick out a half inch or so - giving the appearance of Random pieces. I am not sure I am explains this right - you see stacked stone on many buildings or walls today.. It goes a few inches bellow the water line and up the the copping all around the pool. I will post some pictures latter today.
    22,000 gl. gunite, SWG, De filter, Coverstar cover, sunshelf, intelitouch controls, tf-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Automatic cleaner and stone raised wall - PICS ADDED

I think recent model dolphin could handle your walls with the combo brush - although I don't think it would clean the surface as well as normal tile. You'll have to do your own testing though.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MattM
    I think recent model dolphin could handle your walls with the combo brush - although I don't think it would clean the surface as well as normal tile. You'll have to do your own testing though.
    Any others that might do ok with this aplication??

6. Back To Top    #6

adamwahl - Your pool design is almost EXACTLY what I'm trying to accomplish! I have a few questions, if you don't mind. What is the stone material on the raised wall? We there any particular issues with placing it at/below the water line? Did you figure out the robot question? If so, I'd love to know what you got & how it does with the stone.

I'm working on a similar pool with a raised stone wall, waterfalls coming off this, and an automatic cover. I'm excited to see your pictures!
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that stone would quickly wear out any of the 3 Dolphin style brushes (PVC, combo, or wonder brush) and they are expensive to replace. On the higher end Dolphin (M5) you can set the robot to just clean the floor which actually gets the floor and anything else up to actual vertical.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Sweet Pool! How do you like the sun deck? How far up the sun deck does the water go? How deep is water at the end of the sun deck (deep water side)?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing