Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help !

1. Back To Top    #1

Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help !

Hi guys ! Opening my pool this weekend ---so far not the greatest experience.
    The pool was looking prettyblue when I peeked under the cover, however upon removing the cover I accidentally dropped a bunch of dirtlyleaves in the pool. ugh
    Well after scooping out what I could, I hooked up the filter ans started to run. Seemed ok but it does drip a little where the pump connects to the filter.
    When I put it on high speed ( I have a powerflo matrix I believe) the filter basket in the pump quickly empties and I can tell it seems like only air is getting thru.
    What could be the issue here ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help

It's an air leak.
    Common places for a suction side leak are the pump basket lid, clean and lube the basket lid o-ring.
    The pump drain plugs, remove and reseal them.
    The skimmer weir, make sure it operates freely.
    The water level in the pool, make sure it's high enough that the skimmer doesn't create a vortex.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, definitely an air leak.

Friend of mine had the same exact problem. In his case it turned out to be incorrectly aligned and over-tightened unions.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, find the leak.

By the way...not that it matters, but it is Hayward, not Heyward
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks so much guys. Love how you guys are always present in the forum, even on holiday weekends.
    It was the pipe that connects between the pool and the pump. Wasn't tight enough. I created a foot long pvc pipe with a metal insert so I am able to ground the pool water (its my towns code)
    The hose that connects to the filter from the pump has a very small drip right at the connection. I think if I disconnect and apply thicker coat of plumbers tape it wont leak anymore.
    can run the pump on high with not a lot of issue right now. Just got done vacuuming for two hours. I'm assuming I can get away with the small drip by the filter right ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I'm assuming I can get away with the small drip by the filter right ?
    Absolutely no harm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School