Is it ok to wait?

Jul 15, 2011
Henderson, NV
First year pool owner. Found TFP while researching and have been learning a lot. Picked up a DPD Leslie's kit and here are current test results

FC: 1
TC: 1.5
CC: .5
PH: 7.4 (been cycling MA to bring down TA
TA: 100 (down from 225 when I started)
CH: 875
CYA: 70

I know I need to replace roughly 80% of my water from what The Pool Calculator says. Pool is 6+ years old and I don't think they ever changed the water. When I bought the house they had a pool guy who stopped by once a week and put 8-10 Trichlor pucks in the skimmer basket and shocked with Dichlor powder. I quickly discontinued their services.
My question is can I wait until aftr summer to drain and replace water or should I do it now. Or would a partial drain and refill be worth bothering with in the mean time. Thanks.

Bring the TA down to about 70 and keep the pH between 7.2-7.5 in order to prevent calcium scale. The CYA is a little high but is manageable. However for your CYA you need to keep the FC between 5-8 ppm to sanitize the water and keep algae at bay.

You're likely going to run into problems with scale, if you haven't got it already. I keep my high CH in check by draining off a few inches at a time and use it on the lawn. Same amount of water gets used, it just goes through the pool first. But not everyone wants to put that much effort into things, it does get old. You might just want to replace a whole bunch of water in one shot, 25 - 50%, and maybe repeat it later in the season.

Don't know why my signature didn't show. 18,500 IG plaster on autofill from tatto water. Don't have the numbers from when I tested the tap water, but they were acceptable. We do have calcium build up ob the shower heads and such though. Would installing a whole house water softener and filter help?

Would installing a whole house water softener and filter help?
Yes, but they don't have the capacity to do more than just a little at a time. A water softener simply couldn't keep up if you tried to do say a 50% replacement but it may be able to keep up if you use it only for keeping the water level up.

Thanks for the replies. I think for know I'm gonna try to go with a partial drain by way of pump to waste and watering the little bit of grass I have. I noticed my CH had dropped from my first full test about a month ago from 1025 to 875 and I had let the water drop about 3-4 inches and refilled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.