Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water looks great... but fleas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water looks great... but fleas?

So I am just getting started in pool ownership, and have my water crystal clear, test results are good, everything seems to be going well. Then this afternoon I noticed what looked like black marks in my waterline tile grout, but after a closer look there are hundreds of little black bugs that look exactly like fleas? I brushed the tile, and they just kind of hop across the top of the water and then go right back to the waterline tile. Anyone ever heard of something like this? I did a search but don't see anything? Would appreciate any insights...

Thanks,

Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water looks great... but fleas?

Post a set of test results.

If you elevate the FC level they'll probably go away.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Test results from this afternoon...

PH - 7.5
    FC - 1.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 1.5
    TA - 100
    CH - 260
    CYA - 200

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mkealey5
    Test results from this afternoon...

PH - 7.5
    FC - 1.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 1.5
    TA - 100
    CH - 260
    CYA - 200
    How'd you get that CYA number - the tester only reads to 100?

If it's correct, you need to change some water AND add a whole lot of bleach. You need to get Pool Schooled.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm sorry... typo. the CYA was 20.

6. Back To Top    #6

In that case, add some CYA and some chlorine. You're in an enviable position - you can get away with a handful of pucks in a floater for a few weeks. Then it will be back to jugs....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Is this an indoor pool? Just have to ask.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

No, outdoor. Only been filled a little over 3 weeks. They were either never there before, or I just noticed them today. I'm fairly certain that they were never present prior to today, as I know I would have noticed them when brushing. Not actually sure they're fleas, but they sure look like it. It rained hard overnight, almost 3 inches, although I have no idea why that would have brought them into the pool.