Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The vacuume hose goes where?

1. Back To Top    #1

The vacuume hose goes where?

Back with more silly questions on my above ground 12x3 Intex. You may say that as a newbie, there is no silly question, but I say this seems pretty silly to me. When I bought my pool, I also bought a "cleaning kit." You know the type... for beginners with the net, pole, brush, and it has a vinyl liner vacuume and long hose. I know you put the pole and hose on the vacuume. Saw a video on how to fill the hose with water, but where exactly is this hose supposed to hook up to, to vacuume my pool bottom? Is there some mystery piece of equipment I was supposed to know I had to buy to make the silly thing work?

Thanks again.
    I have a Hayward vari-flo xl-valve. Hp 1.5 Model SM-1700t. Sand filter.
    I believe I have a 24" above ground round pool. Liner has fish on top and a ocean scene on bottom.
    We live in clarksville, Tn. The pool is in full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The vacuume hose goes where?

I dont know if your is the same or not since it is above ground and my is in ground. but on mine it connects inside the skimmer to the hole that pulls the water into the filter.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

The vacuum hose plugs into the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. You often have to remove the skimmer basket, though fancier systems include a plate that fits over the skimmer basket with the appropriate sized connection for the vacuum hose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no skimmer basket, just a plastic covering that sucks water into the filter. Perhaps there is some sort of skimmer attachment for above ground pools? Any ideas?
    I believe I have a 24" above ground round pool. Liner has fish on top and a ocean scene on bottom.

5. Back To Top    #5

Perhaps you could post a picture of your "plastic covering that sucks water into the filter" thing. They make several different variations of that part. All of the ones I have seen either have a hole in the bottom that the hose can plug into, or a cover that goes over the top which has a connector that the hose can attach to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

On an Intex it can be tricky to get a vacuum to work. What I had to do before I had to do on my old Intex that had no skimmer was to just unscrew the screen from the intake opening and the suction of the pump would hold the hose in the intake hole.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll give it a shot! I have tons of trees in my back yard, so I'm sure I'll need to vacuume often.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, so you are right Jamison04. It doesn't pick much of anything up though and I have to attempt to hold the hose while I vacuume... pretty sure my neighbor was giggling at me. Piece of **** if you ask me and a total waste of money. Anyhow, I still need something that will vacuume the bottom. Do any of the battery operated (inexpensive-ish) vacs work?