Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dog step?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dog step?

I built a PVC ladder for the pool this year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU7YfL7GWus

I'd like to build a stair, inside the pool, or a ramp or something, so my dog can swim up to it & get on the platform. She loves to jump off & fetch the ball, but can't get back on the steps without help. I've got some pretty good scratches on me, pushing her up there myself!

Thanks!
    -Mark
    No pool right now: hoping for a gunite pool in the near future
    Previous pool (poles rusted out due to salt water):
    6300 gallon Intex above-ground pool
    2650 GPH Intex 100lb sand filter
    CS8110 Salt-water Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dog step?

I'm drawing a blank on this one... I have several thoughts about diff options. Do you have an idea if you want it to be something somewhat permanent or something that can be folder up, collapsed or removed all together when not needed?

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Temporary. Something we can put in the pool when the dog wants to play. I was thinking about a platform at water level, connected to the rungs on the ladder, but I don't know how to make something like that. Maybe treated wood & a PVC frame? I treated lumber bad to have in a pool (chemicals)?
    No pool right now: hoping for a gunite pool in the near future
    Previous pool (poles rusted out due to salt water):
    6300 gallon Intex above-ground pool
    2650 GPH Intex 100lb sand filter
    CS8110 Salt-water Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe an L shaped platform with slats across the base of the L at the waterline since they seem to try to claw at the edge with their front paws
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Very clever ladder Mark! We have DIY disease and your project gives me food for thought. I'm currently looking for purchased steps, especially for the dog, but perhaps my PVC guru and I can adapt your idea for stairs. In the past she was able to climb the vertical ladder (crazy Border Collie) but she's had both knees replaced and I'd like a better option. Oh, and Grandma would be happy too!
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well what I was thinking about was a platform that latched onto a rung of the ladder that's under the water so it would be 6-12 inches below the water surface that way the dog could swim up to it and be able to climb up/step onto it and then be able to jump up to the ladder platform from there.
    Something plastic like the top platform off of an Intex ladder. Somehow hooked over and has legs to support it against a lower rung similar how you used the all thread to support the outside of the ladder.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

7. Back To Top    #7

We used the Skamper Ramp in the past...Worked great with a little modification

http://www.theuncommondog.com/Produc...FQS0nQodWWArVw
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

8. Back To Top    #8

We use a PetSTEP ramp, like this one (http://www.americas-pet-store.com/petst ... -ramp.html) mounted on a custom built PVC stand. They work great and are very durable.
    17' x 29.5' x 4' Splash Superpool AGP, 15,000 gal, Hayward S244T sand filter, Sta-Rite ABG4E-2A4BBB 1hp pump, BBB / TF100 test kit
    East-Central Illinois