Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter flow rates

1. Back To Top    #1

San Jose, CA

Filter flow rates

Doing some research on the lowest head loss for a large capacity quad cartridge filter. I plan to replace my undersized StaRite. I was going to go Jandy CV580 until I compared the specs to other brands. Attached are the flow rates from the companies filter manuals.

The Waterways doesn't have a curve but states "Maximum head loss @ 150 GPM is 4.1psi", which is the lowest head loss if the manufacturers are using the same parameters in their testing. Jandy shows the highest head loss.

From the charts at 80 GPM head loss:

Jandy 5 psi
    Pentair 2.5 psi
    Hayward 3 psi
    Waterway n/a

At 150 GPM:

Jandy off the chart - est to ~14-15psi
    Pentair ~7 psi
    Hayward ~10 psi
    Waterways 4.1 psi

What is interesting is that Jandy states the CV (Versa plumbing) increases efficiancy, but both the CV and CL are rated the same on their curve.

Waterways indicates they use 2.1" internal plumbing vs others that use 2".

I was not able to find specs on the porisity of the filter medium used by the different manufactures. Differences would effect flow rate as well.

Comments welcome!

[attachment=0:s7vt4lmg]Quad Filter comparison.pdf[/attachment:s7vt4lmg]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    24k gal 16x38, spa 7x6, Colorscape Caribbean Blue plaster, Pentair Intelliflow, Hayward jacuzzi air pump, Pentair 520 filter, Raypak 336k cu-ni heater, Aquabot Turbo T... pool remodel finished 8/2012.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Filter flow rates

Everyone uses the same filter media.

The Pentair Quad is a great filter.

These differences are fairly small when you look at them as a percentage of your overall head loss, perhaps 5% of the system head loss between the best and worst filter. Yes, 5% makes a difference, but other factors like ease of use, reliability and warranty coverage are also important.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School