Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I start adding Borax?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Can I start adding Borax?

here are today's test results with TF 100......

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CYA 70 (measured yesterday, added necessary amount to sock in skimmer and ordering more cya reagent)
    Water temp 82

Yesterday I added MA per the pool calculator because TA was 110 and PH was 7.8

I'm hoping I'm doing this right. I found this site last summer after pool was installed and have never even been in a pool store (thanks to the education and help here).
    I added Borax last summer with good results (I thought as a complete newby) and want to again, but it seems that my TA and PH aren't perfect right now. Do I need to get these perfect before adding Borax and adjusting with MA?

28000 gal vinyl lined swg.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I start adding Borax?

No, they don't need to be perfect, but it helps if they are about right. You aren't too far off, you could adjust TA down a little more, or go ahead and add borates now.

Remember that there will still be borates in the water from last year, unless you did a complete water replacement, so you will only need to top off the borate level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Can I start adding Borax?

Thank you.

I forgot to add that test result....looked to be about 15 on the LaMotte insta-test that came with the TF-100
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html