Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: things to know and do before you own the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

things to know and do before you own the pool?

My husband and I will be closing soon our our first home. The home has an in ground vinyl liner pool with salt water system. Our realtor is getting me the exact spec's on the pool. Having never owned a "real" pool, I would love to get ideas and suggestion on what to do before it is ours. Once we get closer to move in I will be ordering the suggested kit but what other things are good to know beforehand. Thank you!
    I am sure you will be getting lots of questions from me.
    16x32 Grecian IG vinyl pool Hayward filter swg 28000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: things to know and do before you own the pool?

1. Order a good test kit.
    2. Read Pool School.

See links in my signature.

You will be way ahead of the game with the knowledge gained by reading. And the test kit will let you immediately take control of the pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is a maze of above ground pipes and valves and they are not labeled, I'd do my best to get the current owner to walk me thru what is what. Other than that, take some pics, post here, and the gurus will figure it out.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    1. Order a good test kit.
    2. Read Pool School.
    Second^^^^^

Also, I know how busy getting ready to close and move can be, but if you can find the time, just read some of these threads. You'd be amazed at how many times the same problems happen over and over. You'll learn a ton by reading about the struggles (and solutions) of others.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I am reading and reading and reading. Not only are we closing on our first home we are also moving to the area as we are an Army family. I figure by starting now I will have at least a basis in my head before the craziness of movers, end of school, road trip and closing occur. Thank you everyone.
    16x32 Grecian IG vinyl pool Hayward filter swg 28000 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

To whoever is your household is in the Army, thank you for your service. The least we can do is make pool ownership as painless as possible. Please keep asking questions so we can help you out.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry