Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Sun Rings

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Sun Rings

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried the Solar Sun Rings to heat a pool. I have a 40,000 gallon in-ground pool. My wife wants to get the Solar Sun Rings to try to keep the pool warm.

They are expensive, but I don't mind the cost if they work. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you!
    Dan M
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    21ft Round AGP
    10,400 gal
    Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Sun Rings

Welcome to TFP!

Solar sun rings have gotten fairly negative reviews. If you want more info, do a search to find some of the existing posts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We use 18 of these in our pool. My main use of these were to keep the heat in overnight. Without them, I was losing 4 degrees. With them on, I only lose 2 degrees. We only use these during the swimming season and we are now on our third season. They are sort of a pain to use but I feel they are totally worth using.
    34'X 15' 3'-8' depth 22,000 gallon in-ground Grecian style built July of 2004, Blue Tahoe PebbleSheen, Poolpilot DIG-220 w/SC-60 SWCG, Pentair WFE-4 1HP filter pump, 6' S/S Waterfall and WFEDS-6 2 spd Waterfall pump, Letro Legend Platinum cleaner w/LA01N pump, Sta-Rite DE filter S8D110 53 sq. ft., 648 sq ft. East facing Solar panels w/Pentair LX 220 solar control, 6' Pewter Gray SR Smith Glas-Hide dive board on black powder coated cantilever stand w/SS hardware

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the comments, JasonLion and RonI. I very much appreciate your input!
    Dan M
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    21ft Round AGP
    10,400 gal
    Vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Solar Bear panels are the best thing I've ever had. Sure it's a bigger project than what you were considering but we swam in 89 degree water today. Pool is in total shade except for 2 hours a day.
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Solar cover and/or solar panels are the best option.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list