Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What next

1. Back To Top    #1

What next

16 x 32, 19,000 gallon pool. I am using trichlor and shocking with non-chlorine shock. Pool is clear, pump is running well. Numbers are within range on Ph, Alk and Stabilizer. Chlorine is not registering. Thought it was the test strips, replaced and still came up with the same results. I have never had this problem before. What should my next course of action be? I have never taken a sample to the local Leslies thinking that the results will always be skewed towards their liking. Switched back, last year, to trichlor after a couple years of using Liquid chlorine. It was cheaper and it seemed more stable and reliable. I started using the non-chlorine shock last year also. Thought it complimented the trichlor well. Do I need to initially shock with chlorine (liquid or otherwise) to get things going?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What next

Welcome to TFP!

It would be a huge help if you could post your test results. Saying "in range" really doesn't tell us anything.

There isn't any point in using non-chlorine shock. It costs more and doesn't do anything better than chlorine does.

Chances are you have not been shocking properly. I suggest your read the article on how to shock your pool in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! In order to help you figure out what is happening in your pool, we need to see a complete set of test results. Our ideal range for chemical values and the standard pool industry range of acceptable chemical values differ. Also the range of test values within the normal range can make a difference in what we recommend as well. Take a sample to a pool store and have it tested and post the results here. If they tell you to buy anything just say you have some at home. The test strips will not give us the results we need in order to help you.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Test results

TC 0
    FC 0
    pH 7.6
    Total alk 120
    Calcium 50
    Stab 40

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to shock the pool with chlorine. With Stabilizer/CYA at 40, shock level is 16. Follow the instructions in pool school on how to shock your pool. Which very briefly mean test the FC level, add enough chlorine to raise FC to 16, wait an hour, and repeat.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

After shocking with about 2.5 gal liquid chlorine, got a reading of 10 for FC. Measured an hour later, got same reading. The second hour I measured I was down to zero again. Bought some conditioner but have yet to add to pool. Will raising the cya to around 60 keep my levels stable after my next shocking?

7. Back To Top    #7

You need a FAS-DPD test which is included in either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 test kits (Taylor also sells the FAS-DPD as a stand alone kit, but don't know the number) in order to accurately measure your chlorine level while shocking. Raising your CYA level now will make it harder to shock and fix your problem.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Tftestkits also sells a standalone FAS-DPD kit.
    I wouldn't raise the CYA until you're done shocking.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by macabs1
    After shocking with about 2.5 gal liquid chlorine, got a reading of 10 for FC. Measured an hour later, got same reading. The second hour I measured I was down to zero again. Bought some conditioner but have yet to add to pool. Will raising the cya to around 60 keep my levels stable after my next shocking?
    Raising your CYA level at all would be a bad idea. It's always' a good idea to keep it as low as you can. A level of 40 is a GREAT place to start. If something was taking 10PPM of your FC in two hours....there's a good chance you've got some stuff growing in your pool.

What does your water look like? Photo's will help.

10. Back To Top    #10

The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

After raising my cya, it is now dark brown on my test strips, I was able to hold my FC levels overnight.