Sand Filter

TonyB

May 19, 2012
Heyworth, IL
I have a 2 year old Pentair SD 80 sand filter that is leaking somewhere out of the bottom. I can't see exactly where because the stand that it sits on is in the way. There are only two openings on this unit. The drain at the bottom and the opening at the top for the multi-port valve. The water is not coming from either of these. To add to the mystery, at times it appears as a steady stream (not a river, but definitely steady) and then at other times I don't see any water at all! Has anybody else experienced anything similar to this?

I have the same filter and recently got a good look at the bottom while dumping and refilling with new sand and I can also say with confidence that there isnt any opening. It is a solid molded plastic tank but the shape of it would allow anything leaking around the multi port valve to run down the curve of the tank and come off right at the bottom making it appear as if its leaking from the bottom. Could this be what is happening in your case perhaps?

Although I'm not really a leak finding expert. I'd suggest double (or triple) checking the drain cap for leaks. Also the air release, pressure gauge and the likes. A steady stream of water could very well be a hairline crack, but I've never experienced one first hand so I can't say for sure. Check carefully using a flashlight and go slowly.

Thank you for your suggestions. I felt every square inch above the base, especially around the valve, drain and all connecting lines, and my hands were completely dry. Yet, water was still coming from underneath the base. Ugh!! Going to dismantle this weekend.
Any suggestions on a replacement? Have been told that filter is "commercial" equipment and way more than I need.

I doubt that it's way more than you need but without knowing your pool and pump size there's no way for us to tell.

As a side note, the SD-80 isn't a commercial sized filter. In fact it isn't even a very large filter.

If you like the sand filter I'd stick with the SD-80 as the new one will plumb right into place and you can keep the parts (multiport, drain assy, laterals, etc) as spare parts. Or maybe you could just buy a new vessel and reuse those parts.

I'm getting one heck of an education on filters, that's for sure! Here's my stats:
14x29x4' avg depth IG fiberglass
Hayward heater 200m Btu I think!
IC20 SWGl
SD 80- the leaker

Pentair superflo pump. Not sure of hp.

1.5" piping

Installed summer of 2008.

Tony B, I have the exact same filter, and the exact same leak. (As yours, it was installed in summer 2008. Hmmm...). And yes, I have checked very carefully that it's not coming from any other opening, but is spurting up from below the black base. Have you found the cause of your problem? I am having my local pool tech to come out and look at it next week, but I'm worried it will end up being a crack and need replacing. The person I spoke to while scheduling indicated there was a plug and seal on the bottom center (not the drain plug) but tjwaggoner indicates there is nothing else down there. What have you found?

Preifsny, Unfortunately, I do not have very good news for you. I took my system apart and flipped over the tank. There was a hairline crack in the seam. I thought these were a 1 piece mold but they are not. There is not any type of drain plug on the very bottom. If this is what your local pool store is telling you, you might want to find someone with more experience with Sand Dollar products. Of course the manufacturer's warranty is one year and my filter was two years old. My (ex)pool guy who sold it to me said that was too bad and offered to take 5% off of a new filter. What a guy! I bought one on line (Global Industrial) for half of what he wanted and installed it myself. Hand saw, PVC glue, and a 6-pack of beer! Piece of cake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tonyb, thanks for your reply.
I ordered a new filter online, and finally got around to tearing apart my old system. On cleaning and inspection, I found 2 cracks along the bottom seam. At first I thought they were dirt or stain, but on closer inspection I realized how severe they were. I'd call them more than 'hairline'. Each probably 4" long by 1/4" wide. Only a tiny pinhole leaking at this point, but it looks like they were getting ready to blow out. Pics posted on flickr. I replaced with the same filter (definition of insanity) so that I wouldn't have to mess too much with the plumbing. Hope the results are different. Check back in 4 years....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_reifs ... 804584094/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.