cheaper solutions for lighting an above ground pool?

these are battery powered ones you are referring to correct?

i have found these but you need to zip tie them for vinyl pools. they are for the metal frame pools. i would rather not have it "hanging" from zip ties but the floating lights seem a much better idea. any certain brands? searching amazon i have gotten many mixed reviews...

Attachments

• pool light.jpg
    pool light.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,474
When we had a 15 ft. round abg we used an aqua illuminator, lit up the area as well as any motel pool, it was around 129.00 I think & came with all the electrical wiring, well worth it. Now we have a 27 ft. round & the light doesn't quite cut it for that size so we are putting in a 2nd light, the 1st one has lasted almost 10 yrs, tho we do have a short season here in the PNW :wave:

Articfox918 said:
Sorry for reviving an old post but My wife (a pintrest addict found this solution) Put a glow stick in a balloon blow up and tie off throw in pool. Only temporary lighting but very inexpensive.
Awesome idea for a party too!

Intex has a magnetic light. The outside portion plugs into an outlet (long cord). It and the inside portion are held together thru the pool wall by a very strong magnet. I'm not sure if it would work for a metal sided pool. Just in case you'd want to try it, they are are available at WalMart for $60.ish

Oh, and it lights up my 26' intex ultra frame just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For me, it was a good solution. I never really liked my light/return all in one because it did not allow me to use any equipment that needed to be hooked into the return (slime bags, fountains, etc.) Since my light decided to die, I looked for an alternative and this seemed to fit my needs. This model can cycle through the different colors or I believe you can pick one as a constant. I have not been night swimming with it yet, but I have turned it on almost nightly when adding bleach as my pool filter area is quite dark I prefer the green or blue setting... the whole pool is illuminated, but there is some fade towards the far side. The red fades much more.

Articfox918 said:
Sorry for reviving an old post but My wife (a pintrest addict found this solution) Put a glow stick in a balloon blow up and tie off throw in pool. Only temporary lighting but very inexpensive.

We did this in our 18' a few years ago. Actually, my kids did. One thing to watch for is balloon parts in the skimmer. We had some big balloons and the kids popped them which glogged our skimmer. But yes, its a great idea.

Found a really cheap light set at WalMart last week. 2 lights with magnets, battery operated (2 AA each) for $9.92 (yes $9.92!). I read about these on another post--they suggested putting each lite in a zip-lock bag when placing under water--this works really well). Great deal & works great too!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodtimes-LED ... e/20896253

Here's a link to the walmart lights -- if you really love your pool store though, I saw them on the counter at ours last week. 1 light and remote was $19.99. I'll take the walmart deal! I put these in our 30' round. I have 4 because they are cheap but used 1 on low the other night for my midnight swim and it was great to illuminate it. If the kids were in at night, I'd use more.

We used some oring lubricant on the inside when we installed the batteries and I've not had a problem. Out of the box, I noticed moisture inside so the ziploc or lubricant is a good idea. We have aluminum walls, so I have to use the steel plate but it works!

I will have to try the ziplock idea. We have 4 of those Walmart lights and we love them but I have noticed some moisture in them after we use them. We have been just opening them and letting them dry out every night but that is a pain in the butt!

Just want to throw out a plug for those $9.92 Wal Mart lights. I have a 30 foot above ground pool with no working lights so I picked up 2 boxes (4 lights) over the weekend. They work really well, two lights is actually plenty, but at $10 why not go with four! I would definitely recommend putting them in a zip loc bag as they did get moisture in them, but what a great value. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.