Getting to know my pool: What are these things for anyway?

rock

Apr 26, 2012
I have a few questions about the design and purpose of some components of my pool.
Would it be ok to ask here for opinions as to why certain 'things' exist?

Here's a starter:
I already have a huge pleated cloth filter - but - at the output end of the filter - is another 'thing'.

What is the purpose of this Aquatech AQTCG35 29135Q filter-after-the-filter?
picture relocated due to captions

I removed the plastic cartridge, and it's as light as a feather.

Any idea what this filter-after-the-filter actually does?

Re: Getting to know my pool: What are these things for anywa

The Nature2 "purifier" cartridge is not something you want. I adds metal to the pool. Having a hose bib after the filter can be useful. I have one and can use it to drain some water from the pool while the pump is running and have also used it when the pump was air locked.

The hosebib on your plumbing is there if you want to attach a hose to it and run it to a drain in order to drain water from your pool. Some cartridge filter setups have this feature because you cant drain the pool by sending water to waste like you can with a sand filter or a DE filter. I never use mine. It is VERY slow to drain this way and is much easier to just rent a pump for that purpose, should you ever need to do so.

chiefwej said:
The Nature2 "purifier" cartridge is not something you want. I adds metal to the pool.

Thank you for the information.

When I googled, I found very little by way of technical details (so it's hard to figure out 'what' it does or doesn't do).
Here is a brochure which says:
• Nature2 is an exclusive patented mineral technology† that destroys bacteria
• Reduces chlorine use to just 0.5 ppm. Lower chlorine levels help keep the pool pH balanced.
• Nature2 technology consists of the minerals silver and copper.

This ad says the following:
• Each ($100) cartridge lasts up to 6 months
• Drastically reduces chlorine usage
• Eliminates red eyes, foul odors and skin irritation
• Kills algae and bacteria

The $100 filter I have is empty plastic. The brochure above says it's 10 pounds - so there must have been a 'chemical' inside at one time when the $300 unit was installed.

Apparently these companies make the $100 replacement filter (which is replaced twice a year).
Nature2 N2CG35, Claritec CRG35, Vision CG35, Eco Spring CEG35, White River CWG35, Clear Vision CXG35, VisipureCMG35, Aquatech AQTCG35
Note: The '35' is merely the size of the pool (35K gallons).

Given this quote in the brochure about 'private' labeling, I suspect the unit is more about marketing to the masses than about clarifying water:
"Use the Nature2 G replacement cartridge orany G cartridge privately labeled as the following: Claritec, Vision, Clear Vision, Aquatech, Ecospring, White River, Visipure, Hawaiian, California or Fafco."

Googling for how it can possibly work, I find this blurb:
"How does Nature2 work?
Water flows through the Nature2 Professional Pool Purifier which contains a layer of minerals which traps bacteria
."

Hmmm...

This blurb states the flow rate:
• Capacity: up to 45,000 gals. Dimensions: 20"x11.5"x11.5" Ports: 1.5" FPT or 2" Slip Weight: 11lbs.
• Run time: six hours minimum
• Circulation system flow rate: 25-120 gpm (inline)
• Cartridge flow rate: 10-18 gpm (internal bypass)
• Cartridge selection: (three sizes available) 10,000 - 25,000 gals. 25,000 - 30,000 gals. 35,000 - 45,000 gals.
• Cartridge dimensions: 13.75"x4.63"
• Installation: after filter, before or after heater, and always before any chemical dispenser

Given I probably don't even 'want' this thing:
Q: Do you think leaving the unit bolted in (without the cartridge) is causing any flow restrictions?
Q: Would you leave it in place (without the filter as it is now) or remove it?

It contains minerals in bead form, as the cartridge is used the minerals dissolve into the pool, I use one and i never had had an issue in the 4 years i had it, it does not replace chlorine i do not keep my chlorine levels as low as they say you can.
Most people dont like them, it works for thats all i can say about it.

257WbyMag said:
The hosebib on your plumbing is there if you want to attach a hose to it and run it to a drain in order to drain water from your pool.

Thanks for clarifying 'what' that hose bib was for!

I'd guess it will only drain about half (roughly) the pool given the pump is about five feet below the water line.

But it's good to know what it's there for in case I ever want to use it.

The hose bib could also be used for taking water sample or even aerating the pool by running a hose back to the pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thanks for the hose bib advice.

Next to the spa pump are two capped off small pipes sticking out of the ground.
Do you have advice for me what purpose they might serve?

Also, up on the deck, there are two black junction boxes up in the air, which I presume are for the two underwater pool lights.
There's a GFCI, which I know is connected to the pool light (because when it trips, which it does frequently, the pool lights go off).

But what is that plastic pipe, right next to the pool light GFCI, which appears to be an air pipe.

Is the 'air pipe' also for the pool lights?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.