Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: 4-in-1 "shock" from Costco?

4-in-1 "shock" from Costco?

Recent convert to the BBB method. Returned all my trichlor and cal-hypo "shock" (I know - its a verb, not a noun) to Costco and spent the day testing the pool after the second partial drain and fill to correct high CYA and CH.

One question though - while at Costco I noticed they are selling hth shock this year which lists a sodium salt as the main active ingredient instead of cal-hypo? Would this be a good choice for the weeks when I am on vacation and will not be able to test daily and adjust the chlorine level with bleach? I might be able to get someone to come by weekly to do a few things. What do folks usually do when they go on long vacations (2-3weeks)? My CYA finally came down to 35 ( was 120 or more), so I'm not loving the trichlor right now.

Re: 4-in-1 "shock" from Costco?

The best thing to do when on a long vacation is to have someone test and chlorinate your pool, trying to go 3 weeks with no testing at all is asking for one problem or another, one week you might get by with trichlor in a floater, but not 2 or 3. As to the choice between Trichlor or Cal-Hypo while your away and blindly dosing, either manually (neighbor refilling every few days, but not doing any test) or in a floater, etc. will depend on which one your water can handle easier, being in houston I assume your water is not insanely hard, so chances are you can cope with cal-hypo better than trichlor, but this is still just a guess, the problem comes back to that 2-3 week bit. You may come back to either a swamp because the chlorine levels drop too low at some point, or a pool a shock level possibly doing damage to your pool and your equipment.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net