My new million gallon pool!

Any you may want to check your salt levels... feeding that much naocl in there for so long... its bound to build up... probably contributing to the leaks you mentioned. I can imagine that this would not be too good for the equipment you are running it through.

Whats your make-up rate? How much water are you having to add at what frequency?

If its built up like that already I wonder if its not already at swg levels?

Lershac said:
Any you may want to check your salt levels... feeding that much naocl in there for so long... its bound to build up... probably contributing to the leaks you mentioned. I can imagine that this would not be too good for the equipment you are running it through.

Whats your make-up rate? How much water are you having to add at what frequency?

If its built up like that already I wonder if its not already at swg levels?

That's an excellent point! I never really considered the salt levels in the pool being an issue. I'll have to look at the logs when I return to work to see what the make-up is per day.
What is the typical salinity for a pool that uses a SWG?

Assuming 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite, you are going through 14 ppm of FC per day, and adding 24 ppm of salt per day (165 ppm per week). In 133 days, your salt level will hit 3,200 ppm, which is about right for a salt chlorinator.

The sulfuric acid is probably not a good choice due to the buildup of sulfates, which can increase corrosion of steel pipes.

How much sulfuric acid are you going through per week?

What are the Total Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness?

If the TA is increasing with the pH, then you should use hydrochloric acid to lower the pH. If the TA is not increasing with the pH, then you might want to consider using carbon dioxide to lower the pH.

You would probably do better manually controlling the chemistry rather than relying on automation, which will require more work in keeping the sensors and controllers working properly.

The fountains will aerate the water and cause pH rise due to the loss of carbon dioxide. Using a lower TA (about 60 ppm) and a higher pH (about 7.8), would help reduce CO2 loss. Using CO2 to lower the pH might be a good choice in this case to replace the lost CO2.

Perhaps you could use a dual acid setup. If the pH and TA need to come down, then use hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. However, if the TA is good and the pH needs to come down, then use CO2.

Adding borates could help reduce pH rise.

JamesW said:
Assuming 12.5 % sodium hypochlorite, you are going through 14 ppm of FC per day, and adding 24 ppm of salt per day (165 ppm per week). In 133 days, your salt level will hit 3,200 ppm, which is about right for a salt chlorinator.

The sulfuric acid is probably not a good choice due to the buildup of sulfates, which can increase corrosion of steel pipes.

How much sulfuric acid are you going through per week?

What are the Total Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness?

If the TA is increasing with the pH, then you should use hydrochloric acid to lower the pH. If the TA is not increasing with the pH, then you might want to consider using carbon dioxide to lower the pH.

You would probably do better manually controlling the chemistry rather than relying on automation, which will require more work in keeping the sensors and controllers working properly.

The fountains will aerate the water and cause pH rise due to the loss of carbon dioxide. Using a lower TA (about 60 ppm) and a higher pH (about 7.8), would help reduce CO2 loss. Using CO2 to lower the pH might be a good choice in this case to replace the lost CO2.

Perhaps you could use a dual acid setup. If the pH and TA need to come down, then use hydrochloric (muriatic) acid. However, if the TA is good and the pH needs to come down, then use CO2.

Adding borates could help reduce pH rise.

Wow....i'm going to have to re-read this several times to grasp it. I need to go through our system and assess what the specifics are currently, chemically speaking.

I'll keep you guys posted on any progress, or lack thereof in addressing our situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.