Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Knob on top step and pulsator jet

1. Back To Top    #1

Knob on top step and pulsator jet

New pool owner and have a few questions. There is this knob on the top step halfway in the water. Any idea what it is or what I do with it?

Also, on each side of the steps, there are jets, I think pulsator jets, are they supposed to be spinning or stationary? They don't move by themselves right now...but I can turn them easily.

Thanks,
    Jon

======================

21,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter, IG, 16x32 kidney, Vinyl, Hayward Super Pump 1hp, Flow rate: ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Knob on top step and pulsator jet

Still not sure about these two items...
    Thanks,
    Jon

======================

21,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter, IG, 16x32 kidney, Vinyl, Hayward Super Pump 1hp, Flow rate: ?

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know enough about the jets to know if they're supposed to spin or not.

Have you tried opening the 'knob' to see what it does? It looks like an air injection port but it's a bit low. I'd slowly open it and see what happens.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The knob when opened seems to blow out water with low pressure, but it would seem to be an air intake for the pulsator jets?

Something that may be related...I have main drain, skimmer, then two jets by steps and another jet by deep end ladder. Near the pump, there us a return labelled jets, but it makes no sense...any idea what the third return could be for?

Thanks,
    Jon

======================

5. Back To Top    #5

That pipe labeled '???' is not a return, it's a suction. It could be for a suction side cleaner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah yes, got them mixed up, so main drain, skimmer, then two jets by steps and another jet by deep end ladder. Near the pump, there us a suction labelled jets. I don't see anywhere I would hook up a suction side cleaner though maybe into that knob in middle of steps...

Found this guy taking a dip today...

Thanks,
    Jon

======================

7. Back To Top    #7

The suction cleaner port is usually in the middle of a wall under the waterline. I'd open it and slowly turn the other two suctions off and see if it sucks water from the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

The Knob on top step has water coming out when I open it. It doesn't come out with much pressure like the other outlets just kinda dribbles out.
    Thanks,
    Jon

======================