Improving pool equipment - booster pump, cartridges ripping

astead

Mar 27, 2008
El Dorado Hills
I currently have a two speed pump connected to a cartridge filter. After the filter is a jandy valve, one side goes to the regular pool return and the other side goes to the pool sweep. It seems like its a little too much pressure for the pool sweep when the pump is on high speed, and does nothing when it's on low speed. I also need to remember to go out and switch the jandy valve if I want it to sweep or filter better. I want to get a booster pump and add that in to my setup, and have the booster pump come on for a bit every time the pump comes on.
I am not sure if my control box can do that, but I was thinking or replacing the two speed pump with a single speed pump and adding a booster pump. Then instead of the control setting high and low speed it would turn on the pump and the booster pump. That way I wouldn't have to add a relay. I want it to keep the pool cleaner, and be power efficient due to high electric rates. Does this seem like the best setup?
Not sure how related it is, but if I find debris in the little filter basket that's inline on the sweep hose, does that mean I have a tear in the filter cartridge? I just replaced the cartridges less than a year ago, aren't they supposed to last longer than that?

Thanks!
Alan

Re: Improving pool equipment - booster pump, cartridges ripp

I think your looking for a variable speed pump. My screen gets a little dirty too, dont think theres much you can do to prevent it, skimmer socks help a little. Guys?...

Welcome to TFP.

Tell us what cleaner you have. It may not be able to handle a booster pump.

It sounds like you need a regulator on the cleaner line to keep the cleaner working when the pump is on high. It's common for those cleaners not to work on low speed.

Not knowing what type of control unit you have, we can't say if it'll control a booster pump or not. Post what you have and maybe we can help.

No, you cannot put a booster pump on a Legend II. And yes, you either have a cracked cartridge or the air relief screen is torn in your filter. Either way you want to get that fixed so it doesn't cause problems with your cleaner and chlorinator(If debris gets in your chlorinator it is very hard to get out).

Even if you change to a single speed pump how do you plan on turning on the other relay that is connected to the booster pump? With the current setup you have that will not work. I would suggest you leave it the way it is unless you want to spend the money to upgrade your automation. With a different automation system(I suggest the iAqualink IQ904P) you can control the pump, pool light and two other items from your phone or computer. Then you have the ability to upgrade to a variable speed pump, LED pool light , booster pump and still room for one more item. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reed, Thanks for the info!
I was hoping to get a valve actuator on the jandy valve, so when the pump is running on high speed, it switches over to the sweep at least for part of the time. Right now I end up running the sweep for about 1 hour ever month, maybe 1 hour every 1 or 2 weeks in the summer. With a eucalyptus tree fairly close to the pool that doesn't end up working out too well. I figured if I could get the sweep to at least go on automatically every day it would make things a lot easier. It might also keep the cartridge filters from tearing every couple of years.

Yes, putting a valve actuator on there would be a good idea. The automation should have a dip switch you can flip that will make the magic happen for you. The actuator shouldn't cost you too much. If you get it and need help post back on here. Good luck!

I think the dip switches are already controlling the amount of time the pump is on high. Can I piggyback off that same relay to control the actuator?
Thanks again for all the help!

No, the actuator attaches to the board. There should be a 3 prong connector where it plugs in. Then there should be a row of about 9 different dip switches, one of which controls if you have a cleaner on the actuator. Most Blue Haven set-ups are like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.