New here and getting an 24ft above ground on Tuesday.

May 26, 2012
After much discussion my husband and I bought a pool yesterday and I have been reading and reading and reading on this forum to try and bring myself up to speed...of course I had never heard of the BBB method until yesterday, but it peaked my interested immediately when I saw the products used because I have been making my own laundry detergent with basically the same stuff for years now and have decided that store-bought detergents are a big rip off.

So...with that said...even with all my reading I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all and it doesn't help that I have two children that are asking me on an hourly basis when the pool will be ready and it isn't even installed yet. :-D I know I am going to have tons of questions, but I have a few to start with...

We will be using city water to fill the pool and it is expected to take 1.5 days to fill it. Do you recommend filling the pull and running the pump for a certain number of hours before testing for the first time and then beginning the addition of bleach and other ingredients based on the readings from our first test? And does it stand to reason that with regular ole city water I am going to get readings that indicate that the pool needs to be shocked and that is where I am going to start? I just want to stock up on supplies...I robbed Wal-mart of all their Borax today, but still need to make sure I have plenty of everything else.

And I've read enough here to know that ever situation is different but in a perfect world, if the moon aligns just right for us how long should it take for us to get our pool ready. I'm trying brace my self for even more unrelenting questions from the kiddos once they see that there is water in the pool :lol:

I have already learned a tremendous amount and am glad that I found this resource.

Thanks,
Marcy
24ft round agp 4.5 feet deep...still working on getting down all the other lingo

MarcySC said:
And I've read enough here to know that ever situation is different but in a perfect world, if the moon aligns just right for us how long should it take for us to get our pool ready. I'm trying brace my self for even more unrelenting questions from the kiddos once they see that there is water in the pool
It will go best if you have an appropriate test kit ready when the water is in (see my sig), I like the tf-100. If you get some chlorine in there fairly fast, then you should be able to swim within an hour after. But if it takes a long time to fill, then you may have fight something before it's ready.

This is a nice guide, aimed more at the intex crowd, but a good starting point for any pool: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

Let us know what questions you have as you have them!

Our 24' 4' deep AGP was installed on a Wednesday afternoon. We were swimming on Sunday. Our 2 kids were on us just like yours. :lol:

Couple hours of filling on Wed. afternoon, filled all day Thursday, Filled most of the day Friday. Saturday we ran the pump all day, put in conditioner and bleach to bring FC up from 0.

We got by for 2-3 days on the free test strips the pool store gave us with the pool, by then the TF-100 was here. It's been THE best money we've spent on the pool so far.

:wave: Welcome!

You sound a lot like me... as soon as Hubby decided on a pool and found a used one, I started the search on how to take care of it. Hubby took care of the tiny intex pool we had the year prior, but really didn't understand what he was doing. I was fearful we would end up with a swamp and thought I would do some searching online... those pool stores with their "classes" & chlorinators, there just had to be another way. Like you, I found TFP. :goodjob:

You are off to a good start by ordering your test kit and being ready the moment water is on it's way into the pool. You will be glad you did that.

If you have any questions along the way, search the forum to see if others have had the same question, and if you can't find the answer quickly, just ask.

Have questions about your test results... these people will answer within minutes sometimes to help.

:lovetfp:

Since you're using public water, it'll have chlorine already (unless you're in one of those rare places that use monochloramine).

Once it's full, test and adjust the pH, then test the FC and make sure there's 2 ppm in it and go swimming!

You can swim while getting some CYA in it and doing the rest of the tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.