Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Need advice RE buying in-ground stairs for an older pool

Need advice RE buying in-ground stairs for an older pool

Considering purchasing a ready-made set of stairs for our pool so that the grandparents, dog, and little visitors have an easier time getting out. Wondering if anyone has experience with them, good or bad. In particular, the sets I'm looking at state the height to be 36", and I measure 50" from pool bottom to deck in our shallow end. That means the last step would be 15"----might be a doozie???

Also wondering if they become algae havens underneath/behind. Tx for any input anyone might have.
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.

Re: Need advice RE buying in-ground stairs for an older pool

I have a set of drop in steps in my pool (can be seen in my user photo), the brand name is Oasis, they are white blow molded plastic with stainless steel handrails, and were installed around 7-8 years ago, overall they seem to be holding up good. My only complaint is they don't feel solid in much the same way cheep plastic lawn furniture does not feel solid. ( my only problem is the second step insert had a problem with floating so I ended up addding some gravel balast to it, since then everything has been good).
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

Re: Need advice RE buying in-ground stairs for an older pool

Thanks Isaac!
    I like the stainless steel rails much better than the plastic I've seen.......and if I can bug you with two more questions:
    1) how deep (floor to deck) is your shallow end
    2) I don't have a smooth coping, but a concrete cap that juts out from the wall about 2 inches. Would the stabilizer bars that sit on deck accommodate that?
    20 X 40 inground gunite. 38,000 gallons, Jacuzzi Dial Valve Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 pump. 40 + yrs in (fairly smooth) operation thanks to cussedness and a tiny bit of hydraulic cement.