Sand Filter and Backwashing - some sand comes out.

May 26, 2012
Hi all TFP friends! I've visited this site very often and was convinced on buying a sand filter for my pool based on the forums here. Yes I have one of the lovely Intex pools and of course the filter that came with it was way way under sized and well just didn't work well.

So here is the question as I'm a new to posting. Just setup my filter today and got to the part where I backwash the sand before starting to filter. The directions said to make sure the sediment glass was clear. I backed washed for 4 minutes and the water is clear but there is some sand in the glass so I decided to put a bucket at the end of the hose and there is a very little sand that comes out. Thinking about it I think it is ok since I'm backwashing and the sand gets a little stirred up so you might lose some. I just want to make sure this is normal as I'm not really wanting to put it on filter and have sand in my pool.

The sand I used is Aqua Quartz from a local pool store.

Thanks for any help!
Dan

hmm not sure I completely understand. For rinse I'm support to put a cap on the disposal side of the filter so I'm not draining it to see any sand . Should I not be doing that?

I'm knocking on wood here but I thought I would put an old sock over the jet into the pool to catch any sand or at least see if any sand is passing. I ran the pump for a minute or two and so far I see no sand in the sock. I also rinsed the sock into a dark bucket. I know...a little paranoid as I just filled the pool for the year and would really hate to figure out how to get the sand out of the pool.

What is the make and model of your sand filter? Or post a pic.

Most multiport valves rinse setting just bypasses the sand and allows flow right to the waste port. The purpose is the rinse any stuff stuck in the valve assembly from being sent back to the pool. Usually no "caps" to mess with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.