Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AC water (possibly distilled) into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

AC water (possibly distilled) into pool

Hey guys I was wondering if there are any adverse effects if I connect my AC unit output into the pool. AC dumps about 6 gallons of possibly distilled water that is more acidic than pool water.

That's about as much water that I lose to evaporation.
    14500 gallon plaster pool (replastered in May 2009) : 32ft.L x 4ft.D x 14ft.W
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 sqft DE filter --> New filter grids as of May 2011. I use DE for them.
    Polaris 280 & Aquabot T-Jet Turbo at 2hrs/week. 20ft by 4ft solar heating panels
    Circupool RJ30 SWG set at 80% output & Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2speed running 8 hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AC water (possibly distilled) into pool

Usually that is fine. Occasionally, especially with lower quality AC units, the water will bring along some metals dissolved into the water from corrosion that can cause staining.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. My AC unit is only two years old
    Pentair FNS Plus 48 sqft DE filter --> New filter grids as of May 2011. I use DE for them.
    Polaris 280 & Aquabot T-Jet Turbo at 2hrs/week. 20ft by 4ft solar heating panels
    Circupool RJ30 SWG set at 80% output & Pentair SuperFlo 1hp 2speed running 8 hrs/day

4. Back To Top    #4

You could collect the water coming from it and have it tested for metals to be sure... I think I would. Not a large quantity on a daily basis, but might be enough to cause a problem over time if there were some metals there.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to clarify, that is not distilled water but condensation and it will contain whatever impurities it may have picked up from the environment. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, I have no opinion on that, just know it is far different from distilled water.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks guys, that's solid advice.
    I am not planning on swimming in the pool when this is happening.