Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing swg system

1. Back To Top    #1

replacing swg system

I've been trying to search the forum but I'm evidently not putting in the right queries to find the info I'm needing - so I apologize in advance if this is redundant! (feel free to redirect me)

I have an Intex 16' Ultraframe with SWG. I'm setting about to buy a new filtration system for it this year and I've noticed folks mentioning sand filtration.
    Basically wondering the following things:
    1) Is it possible to just go buy a sand filtration SWG for the pool I have?
    2) Will it work with hard water?
    3) if not, is there a water softener I can put on the system? (the e cell was getting scaly every few days last year and I wasn't even going to mess with it this year because it was just too much hassle to disconnect the whole thing that often)

TIA and Happy Pooling!
    Terre Haute, IN
    18 X 48 Intex Ultra-Frame AG
    Intex Saltwater Generator/sand filtration system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replacing swg system

1) The filter, pump, and SWG are three separate components. They are sometimes sold as a package, but I don't recommend getting the SWG as part of a package. Intex makes a fairly good sand filter, especially their larger sand filter, and for more money than that there are a number of choices. The Intex SWG is also a fairly good choice for smaller pools.
    2) Yes and no. It depends on how hard and how closely you manage your other levels. With sufficient attention to your various levels it is possible to get it to work. But if you are casual about it you will tend to get scaling and have problems.
    3) You don't need a water softener on the pool, you need a water softener on the water line you use to fill the pool. That is certainly possible, though swimming pools are a bit of a challenge even for whole house sizes water softeners, all that really means is lots of recharging the water softener.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks! i went and got the sand filtration system and a new SWG to replace my old one. Is there info on here about how to set them up so they work together?
    Terre Haute, IN

4. Back To Top    #4

It is all fairly simple. The Intex manuals show you have to connect the hoses together. Then adjust the water as we recommend, see the article on water balance for SWG pools in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! Thanks ~ I'll check that article out. I see the set up in the SWG manual.
    Terre Haute, IN

6. Back To Top    #6

I have been 3 places in town looking for sand now. First place said that their silica sand is now called "commercial sand" - it says nowhere on the bag what size it is.
    Last place only had "pool filter sand" and they told me it was 20 40. I bought that but haven't put it in yet - trying to find info on if pool filter sand will work. All the posts I've found are over my head at this point - not telling me what I need to know. lol

Also - wondering how much sand I need to get - I only bought 1 50lb bag. Don't see anywhere in the manual where is says how much it requires. Any idea? it's Intex

Thanks again for all your help!!
    Terre Haute, IN

7. Back To Top    #7

replacing swg system

1 bag was enough and I just went with the 20 40 pool filter sand.
    This evening after work I'll release the kraken and press the go button
    Terre Haute, IN