G

A few questions - sorry if these have been answered elsewhere -
First my tests for this morning
FC 6
CC .5 (no overnight loss)
PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 40

1) My ph will bounce at times. The other day it went from 7.5 -8.2 during the day.
But most times it will increase from 7.5 - 7.8 Is there a "norm" that the PH will increase if all is balanced? My TA shows at 80, which I thought would hold the PH.
2) I lose about half of my chlorine (maybe not quite half), during the day. My CYA shows at 40, even though I've added stabilizer a few times and really thought it should be closer to 50 by now. But per the test, it's at 40. Should I add more stabilizer? I don't want to get too high on the CYA, but chlorine is killing me.

1. If it "bounces" up and then back down, that's a testing error which is easier than you might think at first. If it bounces up that quickly and truly stays up, I have no explanation.

2. CYA takes a week to show up on the CYA test. Once you give it that week, keep sneaking up on 50ppm. if you are loosing 3ppm of FC daily, that's pretty normal.

TA does two things, it helps slow any movement of PH, and it also puts upward pressure on the PH. Over time your PH will tend to go up. The higher your TA, the faster it will go up. If your PH is constantly going up, try lowering your TA.

Try raising your CYA level a bit. If you have direct sunlight on the pool all day then try raising it to 60, otherwise just to 50. That will help reduce the amount of chlorine you lose to sunlight each day.

Thanks all - should the PH be staying fairly steady? Is it normal for a slight increase on a daily basis? I'm not sure what to look for with the PH -
I am losing more than 3 ppm of chlorine daily. I get complete, brutal, Arizona sun all day and lose about 4 ppm daily, at least.
I will try adding more cya to see if I can stop the loss a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.