Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water still

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water still

First post this pool season, so Hi to everyone!

We opened up our pool last Sunday to a green swamp. We built the pool last year so this was our first opening. When the pool company came for their 'free' closing that was included in our build package my husband saw that they did nothing to clean the pool...their excuse was that they could not find our skimmer (all they had to do was look at the deck to see it was right there ) Anyways, we figured we would be opening up to a mess, and we did. So we started shocking right away on Monday afternoon (I had to run out and buy some more bleach).

So here we are 6 days later and our water is still cloudy. We passed the Overnight test this morning and have 0 CCs. My husband is out cleaning our filter right now, and we have brushed/vacuumed twice a day the entire week.

You can see the drains in the bottom, but it is just not sparkling like it was last year. A friend was over yesterday and she commented that it looked fine, but then again she is used to swimming in her community pool, which never is sparkling!

Test Results at 6am:
    FC: 11
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    CYA: 25

We tested around 2:00 and FC is down to 8.5, but it is a very sunny day here so thinking that is the reason. Questions are:
    1. Do we still need to keep at shock level even though FC dropped from 11 to 8.5 today
    2. If we don't have to keep it at shock level, is it OK to turn on the SWG at this point
    3. What else can we do to clear up our cloudy water?

Thanks for the help!
    16x34 Oasis IG Liner Pool with Cozy Cove, Sta-Rite s7m120 Mod Media Filter (1 hp), Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro Pump, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater, LED lights, Hayward Goldline Aqua-Rite SWG (T-15 Cell) and TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water still

It took two weeks for my pool to clear when I had to shock. It's normal for FC to drop during the day. If you are passing the OCLT, I would think your SWCG will help hold it at the right level. Also, don't forget to get your CYA up to 70-80 when you are ready to let the SWCG do it's thing (When you are done shocking).
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

KEEP it at shock level and keep that pump/filter running. It's gonna drop a bunch of that extra FC quickly ona hot day. Do the best you can and hit it hard tonite. I wouldn't bump that CYA level to what is required for your SWG until the pool clears.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

1) The three criteria for stopping shocking include the pool being clear, so you should keep it at shock level.
    2) Even though you're keeping it at shock level you can turn on the swcg and let it help you.
    3) Just keep your filter running continuously and clean it whenever the pressure rises about 25%.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the quick responses! The filter was disgusting so hopefully a good cleaning will help as well. We'll bring it back up to shock level again once the filter is back in and turn on the SWG. We'll leave CYA alone for now too. I'll post updates if it does not improve over the next week.

Thanks again!
    16x34 Oasis IG Liner Pool with Cozy Cove, Sta-Rite s7m120 Mod Media Filter (1 hp), Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro Pump, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm Heater, LED lights, Hayward Goldline Aqua-Rite SWG (T-15 Cell) and TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Remember to turn the SWG back off when you do the next OCLT.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Water has finally cleared!! We'll do one more OCLT tonight to make sure we are good to go! We just added salt to the water so SWG will be off. Thanks again for the help