CPSC: Drowning is the No. 1 cause of child injury death.

Re: CPSC: Drowning is the No. 1 cause of child injury death

The only thing more tragic than the drowning of a child is the near drowning of a child. A few months back one of my school district's former students passed away from complications related to his near drowning at age 3. Mom was cleaning the pool with her son on the deck beside her. The phone rang and she took him inside to answer the phone and when she hung up he was missing. He liked to "help" clean the pool. Since she was going to be inside "only for a minute" she didn't lock the door when she came in. They believe he let himself out to finish cleaning when they found him at the bottom of the pool. He survived with severe brain damage and spent the rest of his life at home with 24 hour nursing care. His respiratory system remained fragile and he frequently had bouts of pneumonia. He had ongoing physical therapy to minimize the painful, disfiguring contractures caused by the neurological damage. He lost the ability to speak and lost most of his functional vision. He could not swallow and was fed through a tube implanted in his stomach. The ability to communicate was similar to that of an infant. He could smile and laugh at familiar voices. Cry when in pain or uncomfortable. He would turn his head away if he didn't want you around. He was 26 when he passed away.

I have a fear of my 7 year old finding his way to the pool unsupervised. He knows the rules, no parent- stay out of the gate, but fear one day he might get adventurous.... luckily he usually is a rule keeper. I'm pretty sure this year he will be able to reach the bottom if he did happen to fall in, but still a scary thing!

This is a good reminder how dangerous water can be... Even when we think we are careful.

As an ER RN and paramedic, many of the not so good memories of my work are related to the drowning deaths of children. It can happen so fast. Not only that, but people oftentimes don't realize that a drowning child doesn't make a bunch of splashing and noise when drowning so thinking that the drowning child is going to yell for help and all is not so accurate. When people drown, it's quiet. Most people say that all of the sudden, they're just gone.

Best thing my wife and I ever did when our son was just under 1yr old and every swim season afterwards for the following 4 years was get him and us involved with ISR (Infant Swim Resource) They teach self survival for children if they happen to fall in a body of water.With us having 2 strong powerful dogs that potentially good have bumped him in our pool possibly we did not want to take any chances.
Now at 5yrs old he is a little fish, never had swimmies on his arms(they say that's the worst thing to let kids use, gives them that false sense of security, then if they don't have them on and the worst possibly happens its bad news). He learned what to do if he cannot touch the bottom and is to exhausted to swim, he can remain calm and float on his back until he has recharged himself to continue to swim to the side or steps/ladder.
I think anyone who has young ones (and especially with a pool at home) should definitely check their website out and see if there is an instructor in their neighborhood or close by.

But of course he also knows the rules as well, no adult no swim...And my better half and I are still and always will be VERY cautious and aware at least til he is 25ish :-D

http://www.infantswim.com/

It makes me glad that it is the law here that all pools must have a fence arround all pools at a height not less than 1.2m with a self locking gate. (There is more to it than that, but thats the basics.) Although the house we have just purchased is compliant with the law, we are going to put in an additional fence, as the house makes part of the current fenced area, so we can let our 2.5yo out to the back yard (which you have to pass the pool to get to) without too much supervision. Limits the area arround the pool, but given the unthinkable other posibility .....

Im sure the this specific law has saved countless lives over the years.

I need to send that to my friends wife. They have an 8 year old son who's always in the pool, my friend wants a gun in the house but the wife is convinced that it's the most dangerous/evil thing in the world to have in a house with a child. I've tried telling her that that big hole full of water in your backyard is actually far more dangerous to a child with no success :roll: "he's a really good swimmer so I'm not worried, but he would have no clue what to do if he saw a gun"

I grew up living on the lake. House which faced the lake, walk out a back door through the yard, and you were there. I can't tell you how often we heard of teenagers drinking then either pretending to be drowning, or more tragically not pretending but all his friends laughing and pointing while he actually needed help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.