New to forum and pools, having issues with pool...

May 26, 2012
Over the past week I have been reading "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and a bunch of other articles and topics trying to figure out how to get my pool back to clear. Well I finally decided to join and post a topic of my own to make sure that I'm doing things correctly.

(Very new pool owner....bought this house that included the pool over the winter and have had no idea how to care for it)
I started out with a pool full of algae a couple weeks ago. Cleaned it out completely and shocked it twice (before I ordered test kit). I ordered and have been using the TF-100 test kit over the past couple days based on the recommendations of this site. The previous shock treatments definitely helped and now the pool is a cloudy green/bluish color. Here are my results from the test kit.....

pH = 7.5
FC = 3.5
CC = 1.5
T/A = 140
CH = 170
CYA = 0 (performed this test a few times, always zero)

I have a sock of stabilizer sitting in the skimmer for the past couple days too. If it helps, I also have approx. 5,000 gal pool with cartridge filter.

As of right now I am planning on bringing my FC levels up to a shock level of 10 and doing frequent testing to keep it there.
Is this the right process for getting my water clear again, or is there more I should be doing to change the test numbers I have above?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: It looks to me like you are on the right track. Doing your homework and being able to test accuratley realy, really helps....both you and the folks who respond.....Thanks!

Did you calculate your CYA dosage? If so, what ppm did you calculate to get to?

Also, I wanted to ask about shock testing. How long after adding shock should I wait before I test for the FC level? Do I just add shock around the perimeter of the pool or do I add it directly into the skimmer. (Above ground pool by the way)

What "shock" are you using? Powdered chlorine are either adding CH or CYA. So make sure you do not overshoot your CYA. Liquid chlorine avoids adding anything but FC.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
What "shock" are you using? Powdered chlorine are either adding CH or CYA. So make sure you do not overshoot your CYA. Liquid chlorine avoids adding anything but FC.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I am using a liquid "pool shock" that I bought from a local pool store. Is this good enough to use or is there something else that I should be using? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.