Pool Leaking?

CF

May 10, 2012
Every year I open the pool, initially I always wonder if my pool has a leak. Reason? Because I usually end up having to put a hose into it to raise the water level so that the water filter/pump does not have priming issues. I had to do it this morning ... again ... probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've had to do it since I opened the pool two/three weeks ago.

If I have a leak/hole in the pool somewhere (can't see any), shouldn't it have drained out during the winter? Also, the problem seems to slow down as the season progresses ... I would think if evaporation was the cause, it would happen MORE frequent as it got warmer. Or finally (I wonder), is my pool "settling" ... walls expanding/adjusting somewhat, ground/sand underneath settling, etc. ... and this affects the level of the water although volume has not changed.

Anyone experience this problem on a regular basis?

When the humidity is low water can evaporate from the pool quite quickly. It is not uncommon to need to top the pool off every week with low humidity. If you have doubts you can do a bucket test to see if there is a leak, see the section on leaks in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.