Pressure Increase problem...Help!!!!

May 26, 2012
I just started at this pool thing. I am trying to clean this pool that was green with a film on it and I cleaned it and it's a little green still but my main problem is I cleaned all the grids and put the pump back together and then turned on and added the right amount of earth to the system and the pressure would stay at 12-15 for like 15 minutes then start to climb and go to like 25-30. Why is this? Anything will help because it's driving me crazy and I'm afraid to let the pump Run but need it to to get all the green out.

Why is this?
Your filter is getting clogged up from debris in your pool and, as the debris accumulates inside your filter (just as it's supposed to do) your pressure will rise.

You must shut off the pump, clean the filter and start again each time the pressure rises by about 25%.

If you can post some test results, I think it will confirm that you need to shock the pool. If that's so, the filter will never get your pool clean until you complete the shock process.

Yeah it needed to be shocked, that's the first thing I did. After I cleaned the grids and ran the pool for 15 minutes they would clog that fast? If so should I backwash or take the grids out again and wash?

Yeah, DE filters clog up very quickly when you kill off algae so you'll have to clean it up A LOT at first.

I am not a DE filter expert so I'll let others comment on the best way to clean them up.

De filter question

I have a de filter for my saltwater pool and the pool is green so I shocked it and cleaned the grids out put earth in and the pressure was 12 then after running for 15 minutes the pressure jumped up to 30, question is would the filter get clogged that quickly and if so do I need to backwash everytime it rises or take the grids out and clean them?

Re: De filter question

When fighting algae it is very common for the filter pressure to rise extremely quickly. The water is full of algae and the filter is great at filtering it out. I recommend backwashing as needed, and opening the filter up and doing a full cleaning at least once a day. It can also be very handy to set the main valve to recirculate when you can't be around, otherwise the filter pressure will go too high and cause problems. Sometimes it is also worth setting the filter to recirculate until the algae is dead, which saves a lot of attention on the filter, though it does make the entire process take a little longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.